Spoon carving shave horse

Rob Keeble

Well there might be some here that do not know what a shave horse is so just in case this is what a shave horse looks like

98364-438x.jpg

This works well for shaving green wood when you making parts for say a Windsor chair like rounding legs etc.

But did you know there is such a thing as a spoon mule which is a shaving horse converted to facilitate holding or clamping a spoon blank while you carve it. The operation works with the thighs or legs pushing out on two extended jaws.

maxresdefault.jpg

And if you wish to see a video on how these work check out this Note skip to the 2 minute mark to get to see it in action quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdB_Tr3eX1w

I would like to make a shave horse. Have wanted one for years now i think it has to be double duty would be nice to be able to change heads and to be able to have it come apart and collapse to travel with. Can see it as a great pastime when camping.

Hmm, I might be tempted to have one fixed jaw and one longer movable jaw more like a leather stitching horse where you can just apply downward force.

I could see something vaguely related to the one in the video below (with differently and lower positioned shaped jaws, support under the gripping point, etc...) being light enough to haul around with possibly foldable legs and still be sturdy enough for spoons and small bowls.

Note that this is totally NOT usable for spoons as is, I'm just using it as an example of a somewhat related device with one fixed jaw.