Indirect Light Alternative

glenn bradley

OK, I took one for the team here. I have used incandescent lamps and halogen lamps to shine across surfaces and check for surface flaws. Both get hot. I tried an LED halogen replacement with the expectation that it would be significantly less bright. It is about the same as an incandescent bulb in a metal flood fixture but, without the heat. Its OK but, I would not give it a glowing review (pun intended). Pictures are in order; 500 watt halogen, the halogen beside the LED and the LED installed and turned on.

LED Lamp (1).jpgLED Lamp (2).jpgLED Lamp (3).jpg

Interesting, definitely a blue sheen to it. Was there a more "warm" version available?. I did finally replace my outdoor bulbs with some LED bulbs, which were advertised to be warm. They aren't a glaring blue, but close to an incandescent color, but still wouldn't say warm. Seems to have helped with bugs flying around the front porch though.

@Darren, I use it to look for flaws so as long as it creates a shadowline the color is moot. There do seem to be LED "bulbs" that claim a warmer light if you were simply after the long life and low wattage advantage.

@Brent, the light is about equal to a 75 watt incandescent. Not super bright and not as bright as I'd like for this function but, it runs cool as cucumber in the work light housing. There are bulb replacements in this form factor with higher output but, the price jumps from a few bucks for this 760 lumen unit to about $15 for a 1250 lumen. Now that I know it works I may browse for a brighter lamp and try that out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Glenn. I've used GE Reveal incandescent bulbs in the Moffatt light fixtures on my lathe for years, because they seemed to highlight the flaws best of all the incandescent bulbs I tried. When I get my shop set back up, I'm planning to try LED replacement bulbs, primarily to cut down on the heat. In the new house we've been switching to LED bulbs wherever we can to replace the incandescents and CFLs.

All I know about it, is I went from a florescent/magnifying lamp to a LED one to use while scrolling, and it has pretty much eliminated the problem I was having with headaches. I know that has nothing to do with what you are lighting for, but it does state another benefit of LED lights.