Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an exercise in futility

an exercise in futility

after the weatherman said today was going to be a less humid day with cooler temps, I set up the garage in temporary spray booth fashion.

today the humidity is up near 80-90%, right on weatherman, you guys are always spot on!

spraying water based lacquer, oh boy.
    Last edited by allen levine; 06-18-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

It (the humidity) may not ease for a while either...might have to get some retarder to add to it.

The waterborne lacquer shouldn't be affected much by the humidity. It'll just take (a lot) longer to dry.

We've got that humidity here, too. Been mid+ 80s, with 85~95% humidity for the past week or more, with no relief in sight.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I leave the door open when I spray, leave it open for 15 minutes, and then close it, Im running the AC to shorten dry times.

I need the unit out of the garage by tomorrow afternoon, its slowing down things.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    It (the humidity) may not ease for a while either...might have to get some retarder to add to it.

I know little or next to nothing about spraying chemicals.

can retarder be put into water based products?

in dry air, 75 degrees, I can recoat within 30 minutes.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I know little or next to nothing about spraying chemicals.

can retarder be put into water based products?

in dry air, 75 degrees, I can recoat within 30 minutes.
    I don't think you'd want to use a retarder in cases where you're trying to shorten the drying time. As Jim said, in humid weather, the drying times increase for waterborne finishes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have some from Target Coatings when they suggested I use it, the explanation was the same as you would have for NC lacquer, it helps with the blushing caused by humidity. That said, I'm not normally plagued with humidity problems so I can't testify first hand it works.

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    I have some from Target Coatings when they suggested I use it, the explanation was the same as you would have for NC lacquer, it helps with the blushing caused by humidity. That said, I'm not normally plagued with humidity problems so I can't testify first hand it works.
    Actually, the retarder is only for slowing down the drying time in high temp situations. This from their website:

SA5 Universal Retarder is specifically engineered to reduce the viscosity and slow down the dry-time of our waterborne coatings during high temperature applications. SA5 is best used when EMTECH Series WB finishes are being applied with turbine HVLP spray equipment or when the substrate surface being finished is above room temperature. Start with a measured amount of 5% by liquid volume when used for spray applications. Use an addition of 10-20%, SA5 to improve the brushing and wiping actions of all our systems.

The high humidity, by itself, will slow down the drying.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Im glad I didn't wait till today, the humidity is up near 90% with a dew point of 65, a lot of peach fuzz on the unit, I got 6 coats of target em6000 on it, started yesterday at 8:30 in the morning. A little 320 sanding and I think it will be fine.
    Human Test Dummy

I have used nearly 100 gallons of Target lacquer. I have never had the blushing common with solvent lacquer in high humidity. But I have had issues when the temperature is over 100 degrees, especially dark wood in the sun.

My limiting case - two lessons learned - was when I was pushing to get "just one more" coat on before it rained, so humidity was practically 100%. I was counting on 10 minutes after spraying to get the work back under cover. I lost the bet - it started raining. Each drop of rain created a crater all the way through the finish. Lesson 1 - humidity is not a problem. Lesson 2 - Target water base lacquer really does have full burn in with all previous layers. So I sanded off the finish with the craters and started over after the rain.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com