Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gack!!! still more problems with photovcarve

gack!!! still more problems with photovcarve

this has been nothing but fun. tried doing a 6x6 photo, came out 5/8x1/2, solved that lil problem with the new post processor, except that the new one would not be accepted by the program. new version of the post processor. it seemed to work, but, almost half way done, it makes a bee line for about a foot down the y axis, comes back, does about an inch or so, goes to the right and left about 2 inches on the x axis, then plants the bit right up to the collet nut, prompting an emergency shutdown. so, yet another email sent off to the vectric people, with pics of the 7 pages of error messages generated, along with a pic of the end result. am i having fun, or aren't i?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error page 01.jpg   error page 02.jpg   error page 03.jpg   error page 04.jpg   error page 05.jpg  

error page 06.jpg   error page 07.jpg   end result.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Dan,

I have photovcarve.

To be honest I have only used it a couple of times, but all Vectric products work in a similar way.

Why don't you email me your photovcarve file and I will see what I can find in there.

voisil@comcast.net

thanks leo! email on the way. i sent a copy of the g code that was generated.
    benedictione omnes bene

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    thanks leo! email on the way. i sent a copy of the g code that was generated.

Dan - not the g-code

I want the photovcarve file

yup, you got that in the first email.
    benedictione omnes bene

OK - I got both.

I opened the PVC file and looked through all the settings. There is nothing wrong in PVC. It works fine all the way to the end.

WHAT - post processor did you use?
    I would recommend G Code Inch (*.tap)

It does not really matter very much as long as you get good g-code.

The G-Code code you sent look fine and should not generate an error.

The error messages you posted earlier - I DO understand them - I do NOT see what would cause those errors in your G-Code program.

Vectric is going to want the PVC file and maybe the G-Code file. They will tell you the problem is not Vectric - I agree. It is VERY VERY rare that there is a problem with Vectric software and PVC has stood the test of time. I am sure I can run your code in my machine and it will work fine. I can read g-code very fluently and I can tell just by looking at it.

If you machine is generating the errors - there is an issue with how your machine is reading the code -- OR --- the code is getting corrupted in the transfer.

I run my machine directly from a computer and use Mach3 as a machine control software. In Mach3, I simply load the G-Code directly and the G-Codes runs. There is NO transfer.

I know you are using something different and that you mention some sort of "sender" or something like that. I don't know what that is, but it may be corrupting your program.

Can you open the G-Code file directly from your machine operating software? Bypass that sender thing?

not too sure about that, i open the file in universal g code sender, and launch it from there. the error was generated when i ran the g code generated under the grbl inch g code that the vectric people sent to me. funny thing is, is that when i generate the g code in photovcarve, there is no entry for the shapeoko 2, so i was using the generic g code inch, which saves it as a .tap file. so there could be something cockeyed with the grbl inch g code setting they sent me. on all other items, it works without a hitch.
    benedictione omnes bene

You could try the other post I mentioned -- you may need to enter the G20 near the top of the program.

There should be a setting in your machine to set the machine to inches - then you won't need the G20.

I didn't see anything wrong with your g-code file. Did you send me the one you got errors with?

I'm with Leo - though I have't seen the code. I'd be more suspect of the sender than anything else in the chain. I've seen issues with some gcode that's generated with too many decimal places for the coordinates - you know, something like:

G0X1.003030334342288Y0.3432583823323

Some programs don't work with that many decimal places, so they get a little confused. It could just be one single line doing it, too, like if all but one lines have coordinates that end with a few zeroes, the app might just do fine with the truncating (not rounding) there and don't get upset. I saw it once in mach3 when testing out my gcode script for guitar fret spacing. The math took me to something like the 15th or 16th decimal place and mach didn't like that so much.

But in that case, I could see it in the gcode preview of mach3, so i didn't risk any cutters or material. Does your control chain offer any sort of preview of the gcode?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    ... I've seen issues with some gcode that's generated with too many decimal places for the coordinates - you know, something like:
    G0X1.003030334342288Y0.3432583823323 ...
    The default parameters for decimal places in grbl config for arduino limit to 4 for inch and 3 for mm, so that shouldn't be a problem, unless the Arduino Uno hasn't been updated.

I've been using UGS for most of my cuts and haven't had an issue unless the software generating the gcode doesn't behave properly.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station