Something Different-Pecan Root Burl

Dave Hoskins

Finished with hauling the wood from a pecan tree yesterday and managed to bring to the log yard a fairly big pecan root burl. The wood part is about 36" in diameter. I took 3 of the photos with it sitting chained to the bucket of the tractor which is a 40 hp. for size reference. Not sure what all I will get out of it when I start cutting into it, but it should be some pretty good looking stuff. Hope so, anyway. With the ground still wet from the rains where this was loaded it was a good trick to pull off, as the tractor kept wanting to slip and slide around a bit. But, eventually hardheadedness won out and it went on the trailer. Just thought you guys and gals might get a kick out of the photos. Yes, the log by the tractor is part of the trunk of that pecan tree.

Yes, guys it is a fair amount of wood. But, in all honesty, it will not last me that long. Now I know that pecan is not a soft wood, but why is it a tool dulling wood??? I quite enjoy turning it. It certainly is no where near as hard as bodark. Or, mesquite for that matter. Well, maybe I am just weird. But I find it quite enjoyable to turn.

Looking forward to seeing your M&M savers.... Love pecan to turn.... it can be hard, but agree that Bodark is harder.

I had a couple of pecan logs about 3' long that a neighbor gave me... let them sit a year and then turned bowls... half the bowl is light colored and half is a darker brown... I didn't dry properly, so I did have some checks in them, but with enough CA, not a problem... nice heavy bowls.
10-1789_0.JPG10-1790_2.JPG10-1869_0.JPG10-1869_2.JPG10-2068_0.JPG10-2068_4.JPG

The first two were done early while the wood was still green... I used my wood saver to core them from same blank.

Nice bowls, Chuck. I rough out my pieces while the wood is a green as I can. Then I give each one a bath in denatured alcohol and then put it in my kiln to dry. The DNA is supposed to help it dry more evenly. I have my kiln running at about 90. If I start to get it fuller than it is, then I can turn it up a bit as needed. Doing that seems to minimize the checking for me. My kiln is homemade and heated by brood lamps. If I need it hotter I just turn on more lamps. I have six total in it but right now with only 4 blanks in it have 3 burning. I'm going to build a better one probably this fall, though. This poor thing has been moved too many times and it really wasn't built to move. Oh, well. Another project.

I agree there are harder woods out there, but I've had one or two wrasslin' matches making hollow forms with fairly dry pecan. Here's one of them, overweight finial and all...

HF051 - 02 800.jpg

Like you, I try to turn when the wood is as green as possible, but sometimes it's not all that possible. :)

Nice bowls, Chuck. I rough out my pieces while the wood is a green as I can. Then I give each one a bath in denatured alcohol and then put it in my kiln to dry. The DNA is supposed to help it dry more evenly. I have my kiln running at about 90. If I start to get it fuller than it is, then I can turn it up a bit as needed. Doing that seems to minimize the checking for me. My kiln is homemade and heated by brood lamps. If I need it hotter I just turn on more lamps. I have six total in it but right now with only 4 blanks in it have 3 burning. I'm going to build a better one probably this fall, though. This poor thing has been moved too many times and it really wasn't built to move. Oh, well. Another project.

I have the DNA bath, but my kiln is still in dishwasher form and sitting on the back porch... need to get in gear and put it together... I do microwave some of my woods to get them drier.

Yeah, sometimes it gets dry on us before we get to it. That happens and we just have to struggle through it. I think all of my bodark is now dry and hard as a rock. But, so what? Just means a challenge! So, I will challenge it to cooperate with me. Yeah, right! Hollow forms can be a bit tough to start with and if the wood is already dry, then woe is you. Or me.