Here's another soft wood that's fun to work with....

Chuck Ellis

This is Royal Paulownia or some call it an Empress tree, Princess tree or Foxglove tree.... they're of Chinese origin and considered an invasive spieces... we had one down the road that was growing along the neighbor's fenceline... the electric company came along and decided it was endangering their power line and cut it for them...

I've turned several pieces from it.... I did this hollow form sphere, then decided as an after thought to put a lid on it... this was the results... it will tear out some, but with lots of sanding can usually smooth it out okay... this is about 6" diameter and with the lid comes out to be about 7 1/2" tall. The inside isn't as smooth, I need to get a sanding ball or make one to do the insides... I sanded as much as I could inside, but I like my fingers too much to put them in for too long....

43-2071_4.jpg43-2071_1.jpg43-2071_2.JPG

Also did this little lidded box... I had the blank labeled as Silver Maple, but more I look at it, I think it's Bradford Pear... the lid IS Silver Maple. The box is marked on the bottom with the wood type, so guess it's going to have to stay Silver Maple. :rolleyes:
Both pieces have a polyurethane finish.

28-2069_3.JPG28-2069_0.JPG28-2069_2.JPG

Good looking wood Chuck. Silver Mae is a nice wood to work but so is pear...almost forgot how to spell that kind of pear :O

That Chinese wood is interesting. I seldom get to work with a soft wood. The Bradford Pear I have turned might as well have been granite. Made a rolling pin from it for the wife. Never again.