Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live video while turning - interesting ideas

Live video while turning - interesting ideas

Some interesting ideas here, you could build a "better than the laser pointer" setup for a hollowing rig for pretty cheap nowadays and some of the other ideas were pretty neat as well.

edit: for some reason its not embedding the video, just showing the link.. oh well.
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 06-26-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Interesting goings on there, Ryan. A bit hi tech for me, but still interesting. I do like the way he made it easier for her to see doing the fine detail work. Interesting, Thanks!

Good find, Ryan. This helped me understand the mechanics behind some of the commercially available hollowing systems. As you said, it should be pretty easy to set up a replacement for the laser pointer that works even better.

That is some cool stuff. Be as much of a hobby playing with the cameras and computers as the wood working hobby you are using it on. Yep to high tech for this old guy, but sure looks like fun.
    "We the People ......"

My only issue with the camera as a replacement for the laser is the fact that the border overlay would need to be adjusted (or re-done) every time you change the angle of the cutting tip in relation to the boring bar. In the course of making the average hollow form, that angle is adjusted a number of times. (Or at least it is on my lathe.) Adjusting the laser is fast and simple. I'm not sure if adjusting the overlay would be as straightforward.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good point Vaughn, it looked fairly quick to redraw with the tooling he had, but certainly slower than moving a pointer.

I think the plastic overlay on the screen looks like it's probably competitive since you ought to be able to just rotate and restick it if you're using the right material for that.

The one thing I did like about it is that it's pretty easy to see the offset for the wall thickness, and you can see the cutters approach clearly "through" the wall. It seems that that might be a useful learning tool even if you went another way later for production.

Certainly an opportunity for a custom turning app to be created that could be adjusted quickly.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    ...and you can see the cutters approach clearly "through" the wall. It seems that that might be a useful learning tool even if you went another way later for production.
    Very true. Seeing the relation between the cutter and the wall, particularly the angle of the cutter, would be very useful.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've seen both Trent Bocsh's Visualizer and the Cuttervision video hollowing systems and both can change the image of the cutter faster than I can re adjust my laser. Both are very expensive though. Trent's uses a grease pencil on a heavy plastic overlay of the monitor, the Cuttervision shoots a video still image of the cutter head and you can add a red outline the width of your choice through the software. Both very slick. After seeing these demo'd, I tried to find iPhone/Ipad software to try what this guy does in his video but had no luck. Guess I'll wait for his future videos.

Yeah, he said he was using mostly free software but I haven't figured out what he's using either.