Red Cedar Hollow Form Bowl

Dave Hoskins

This is a piece I did today for my sister. She needed it for a gift for somebody. Don't know who, but somebody. The hollowing does go most of the way to the sides on the inside. I guess I said that right. If not I hope you can guess my intent. Anyway it is 10" in diameter on the outside, and it has a 4" diameter lip. It is 5" high and has a depth of about 4". I filled the cracks with good ol' superglue, let it dry and sanded it down nicely. You can see the cracks but cannot feel them. I sealed the wood with walnut oil and then the finishing was done with a walnut oil/shellac mixture. Hope whoever is getting it likes it. If not, they can give it back and I'll keep M&M's in it.

This is a piece I did today for my sister. She needed it for a gift for somebody. Don't know who, but somebody. The hollowing does go most of the way to the sides on the inside. I guess I said that right. If not I hope you can guess my intent. Anyway it is 10" in diameter on the outside, and it has a 4" diameter lip. It is 5" high and has a depth of about 4". I filled the cracks with good ol' superglue, let it dry and sanded it down nicely. You can see the cracks but cannot feel them. I sealed the wood with walnut oil and then the finishing was done with a walnut oil/shellac mixture. Hope whoever is getting it likes it. If not, they can give it back and I'll keep M&M's in it.

Peanuts or Plain?

My ex son in law works for M&M Mars... he used to keep me in M&M, but don't get to see him as much since they divorced.

I've not tried the Walnut oil/Shellac mixture... what is your ratio??
I've used just plain walnut oil from Kroger's...it works and is easy, but doesn't leave the shine I would prefer.

Thanks, fellas. Chuck, the ratio I use is about 60% shellac, and 40% walnut oil. I always seal with the walnut oil first and after it has soaked in, I buff it slightly. Then I use the mixture laying it on with one of those blue shop paper towels while it is spinning. I just keep putting it on until it starts dragging. Then I let it sit for a bit and then buff it. Gives the work a bit more shine than just the walnut oil. Give it a try. Works good for me. I think it works better on softer woods than most other stuff.

Hi Paul. Yes, I used to use his stuff when the local Woodcraft store became not so local. Moved way away from me. His products are alright. At Woodcraft I bought Mike Mahoney's oil. The main reason I went back to Mahoney's is it is a thicker oil and polishes better. Also, the guy at the site you mentioned changed his shipping method to one that just does not work for me. No telling where your stuff will go before it gets to you. So, use who you want. My preference is Mahoney's and though I rarely use wax, his is first rate. And, if you have a problem, he even is the one that answers the phone! Nice guy!