New CNC Build - Day 5

I think Carol means 4th axis -- the number of steppers is not equal to the number of axes :)

The two that drive your Y are just one axis, even if they use up two axis ports on the BOB :)

I didn't want to point that out. Just didn't seem to be relevant enough.

You CAN do a fifth axis, but the fifth rotary axis would be mounted on the 4-th axis.

Like it you had what we think of as a traditional 4-th axis - but have the fifth axis mounted on the forth axis, so that the center line of the fifth was perpendicular to the forth.

Then you would have X-Y-Z - A (rotary along "X" or "Y") - B (rotary along ("X" or "Y", but perpendicular to 4-th - and "Z")

I did "TWO" 5-th axis jobs in my 35 years of programming. I have done many 4-th axis.

Feed is under the gantry, therefore along the y axis or 24". Will have to move the machine away from wall to do this. It will be on locking casters/adjustable levelers. Don't expect to have to do it often.

NEMA 34 motors.

5th Axis controller is included in my electronics package and Mach3 handles it. I had a second z axis on my ShopBot years ago and it was handled as an accessory A axis in the software.

Jay, go put on a dry shirt!

NO it will just get wet again I'll bet :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::five:

Brown came. Day late but better late than never.

CNC box 1st.jpg

CNC boxes 1st.jpg

Rails scheduled for next Wednesday. These are loaded in the car and ready to head out to OSML tomorrow (my Makerspace where I am building this.) No time to bust boxes today. Have to get ready for my evening. Tomorrow however! Box cutter and bib. And we begin. These boxes should be hardware, plates, etc., and racks.

Hopefully some instructions, too. :huh:

Brown came!

CNC box 1st.jpg

CNC boxes 1st.jpg

Should be hardware, plates, etc., and racks. No time tonight to dig in. Tomorrow, a box cutter and a bib. And the camera. Share the popcorn.

Rails scheduled for next Wednesday delivery.