New CNC Build - Day 5

Lottsa parts! I mean LOTTSA parts!

Got the gantry risers assembled today.

I am not disappointed with the robustness of these parts. The red parts are 1/4" powder-coated steel plate. The aluminum is the beefiest extrusion I have seen and there is more coming!

CNC2.jpg

cnc3.jpg

From the parts above I made the part below times two.

cnc4.jpg

This is not a task for a dyslexic person! I needed a right and left and I had parts laid out every where. Did make one miscue and had to disassemble one piece and reassemble on the other face of the plate!

After I got home and looked my my pictures, I realized I failed to take one of the TWO gantry risers completed. I did all I could do today. This was one of the five boxes that did arrive. The rails won't arrive until next weekend, so likely won't get back to it until next weekend.

Previous builders of this machine have raved about the packaging. I concur. First the boxes were sturdy and every flap was taped tight. Parts inside were separately bagged with plenty of packing material to keep things in place. Each box is a separate assembly, so when you build that assembly, there should no parts leftover. Such was the case here.

It was a good day today!

Last edited:
I am REALLY REALLY happy to see how this build goes together. As I will be thinking about upgrading to a larger machine at some time in the future I really want to know how robust these kits are.

I have a "!substantial!" pile of the 3" 60-20 extrusion aluminum waiting for the event that I "may build in the future, seeing that in this built is something above - exciting - to me.

Gonna love this build

The aluminum extrusions arrived today. Finally. First UPS driver said my road was too narrow for his truck. Don't get me started!

So I bust the box open. Some pretty beefy aluminum. wait until you see the gantry piece!

Extrusion box.jpg

Then I got to the Makerspace lab and laid everything out roughly.

Initial base layout.jpg

Found the hardware box for this assembly. If you liked tinker toys and thought you had gone to heaven with your first erector set, this is the cat's meow of toys.

base hardware.jpg

Two hours later, here are few views of my effort. This is the base roughly assembled. Enough so I can pull my final dimensions for the cabinet it will rest on.

rough base assembly 2.jpg

rough base assembly 3.jpg

rough base assembly.jpg

...and tomorrow is another day.

Nice! :thumb: Exciting! :lurk:

As for delivery drivers.... :rofl: That's a mixed bag! On a good note, recently I had a package that showed delivered from FedEx, a 120# workbench kit, when I wasn't home. Tracking showed left at front door. Well it sure wasn't there! Turns out the driver had carried it into my shop (door was not locked) for me because it was raining!! I need to order something and ship with them so I can get him back out here to give him a tip!!

Yes, Ted. It is tomorrow!

Hit a snag today. The base will sit on a cabinet but it has to be at least three inches off the cabinet top to accommodate the gantry risers. Was going to use some 2x4 aluminum tube. Couldn't find any locally. So we muddled together (love being at a Makerspace!) and here is what I came up with:

Saddle Stand.jpg

The base will sit in 6 of these.

Tomorrow morning I will pick up the flat stock and the tube. Will cut it all here in the shop. Nice Jet metal cutting band saw available. And I get to learn how to use a Sherline mill to make 72 of those oval holes in the plates! WooHoo! I have already ordered the angle braces and hardware for all this. Will be in by the end of next week.

And no day is a bad day that requires you to buy a new tool. Yesterday I fought with a folding hex key set for the bazillion hex cap screws I have assembled this far. Not fun. A run through Lowe's garnered me this new set.

ball end hex wrenches.jpg

That will help with the next bazillion, not to mention all the loosening and re-tightening when it comes time to square this puppy!

You know, you are making me very jealous. I've been back in to some arduino stuff lately and am really thinking about this whole cnc thing, again...

I'm so close...

Got a little arduino project for making a time lapse slider/panner rig I'm working on first, then might look at doing the cnc stuff.