Attachments

• CNC box 1st.jpg
    CNC box 1st.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 30
  • CNC boxes 1st.jpg
    CNC boxes 1st.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Very good, Ted. Ain't that the truth. I spent the entire day filling out variance forms and collecting a ton of information to do so. An insane amount of time and money and it is all a giant bet. Is there an emoticon of shaking one's head?

Yes, I am looking forward to beginning the build. It will be fun sitting in the middle of a bunch of parts and mating them together in turn until I have something that works. Camera is at the ready. Jay would come kill me if he didn't gets lots of pictures to drool over. :rofl:

POINTING-UP.jpg

What he said!

I am looking forward to the process you go through. What size did you end up going with.. Should be fun and if you are like most plenty of frustration ! But when it all comes together. Will be interesting to see what your product will be....

Garry

ooooh, almost forgot about the frustration! :eek: trust me carol, you will achieve a whole new level of prayer, trying to keep yourself from wanting to throttle the person who designed your kit.... :rofl:

The size is 48 x 24, meaning the y-axis is 24" and the x-axis (travel along the gantry) is 48". The Y rails are 3" longer to accommodate a 3" over travel for working on the ends of pieces. On the right end of the work surface there is a 12" wide x 24" deep x the depth of the machine 'hole' that will house a min-lathe run on a stepper motor for a 5th rotary axis. In addition, down the road, I will add a water table and a plasma torch. (Eat your hearts out). But those two upgrades will come later. To be prepared for them was less than $400 now.

I have a pretty good industrial vacuum pump so will be trying a vacuum table also. As for product, I do have something planned but an interesting thing has happen since the cat got out of the bag. I have been approached for short runs of odds and ends, so I will have to give some thought to pricing those things. Fodder for another thread at some point. But maybe on a different forum also.

Who was it that said we live in interesting times? Oh, wait! That's a Chinese curse, wishing one to live in interesting times. Hmmmmm.....

Fifth axis huh? Can't wait to see how you go about setting that up and programming it.

Cool stuff - nice size machine.

Will you be able to feed through the machine? Will you be able to feed through 48"? or 24"?

Are you gonna go with NEMA 23 of 34?

Feed is under the gantry, therefore along the y axis or 24". Will have to move the machine away from wall to do this. It will be on locking casters/adjustable levelers. Don't expect to have to do it often.

NEMA 34 motors.

5th Axis controller is included in my electronics package and Mach3 handles it. I had a second z axis on my ShopBot years ago and it was handled as an accessory A axis in the software.

Jay, go put on a dry shirt!