New CNC Build - Day 5

OK. Sort of a catchup. Here is a walk around.

Front view:

CNC Master Build front.jpg

Left end view of the electronics bay.

CNC Master Build left.jpg

Back view:

CNC Master Build back.jpg

As you can see, I plan for a rotary axis using a mini lathe. The motor will be replaced with a servo motor and gears.

There is also an on board vacuum clamping system built in, though I haven't drawn the table yet. You can see the vacuum pump on the back view. As it is. I am probably getting ahead of myself. Ya think!?!

The shop vac will come out of its 'garage' when the machine is in use.

While this has been going on, I have been ordering bits and pieces. Everything I have ordered to this point is in as of today. Tomorrow I get to start milling holes in flat stock to build the saddle brackets for the CNC base. When those are completed, assembled and attached, I will start the cabinet because then I will have hard measurement numbers to work with. Drawings are just the plan. Reality may have a few surprises as we move along here. :rofl:

The computer is here, so that will go together and I will download the Mach 3 trial and start watching tutorials when I can't be assembling parts.

We are some months out from completion and 'fire in the hole'. But I am having a blast and my blood pressure has come down 25 points. Lot to be said for playing!

Off to make some meat loaf for dinner.

Last edited:
New CNC Build - Day 4+

Carol, much of this is "over my head" but it is still interesting to read and I can "hear" your excitement as I read it. I think I understand the concept and look forward to watching and learning as you get going with this.
Now.....pass the popcorn please! 😄

Looks interesting. I like the notion of the cabinet under the machine.

Sorry about me being me and being a bit outspoken.

I try to just post - hey that looks good, and leave it at that, but my insides burn if I don't point out what I see and what I think.

Please don't be offended. I know it can come across wrong more often than not.

Is your rotary axis going to be permanent in that location. Just seems as though there is something "limiting" about it being there.

I think the computer and mouse and keyboard need a more enclosed protected environment that what I see. In fact - an air tight enclosure with an exhaust fan and an intake filter for the computer would be much better. The keyboard and mouse are a little more forgiving, but dealing with the dust is a royal PITA. Having those in a drawer with some "weather guard" seals is a good idea.

The CNC control cabinet needs airflow.

I would design in a space in the machining area somewhere so that you can mount a board upright - through the table and down to the floor.

Setup a switch panel so that you can turn on/off 6-10 axillary devices. Over head lights, high intensity lighting, vacuum, vacuum table, control box, and others that I can not think of at the moment.

Definetaly - at least SERIOUSLY consider a hand held pendant - like a shuttle pro, joystick or at my highest recommendation a http://vistacnc.com/b08_pendant_P2/pendant_p2-S.htm. This is the one I have and I love it. You would want to integrate this into your design.

I would integrate the shop vac into the cabinet with sound proofing. I would remove only to empty it.

Drawers should have weather seals and be shallow, 1" - 1-1/2", 2". Make cutouts in the drawers for the stuff.

If you don't like me commenting in this way - please just pm me and I will not make my comments.

I base my comments on the following

1) I have installed and set up many work areas in an industrial world - that is a big part of what I earn my living doing.
2) Industrial machines are made this way.
3) I have burned out a few computers in my shop already
4) These are design features I have been planning for myself when I upgrade
5) I have already instituted "some" of this stuff and it is worthy.

So Again - please don't be offended and I will stop if you want.

I know zip about CNC rigs, but I like the looks of your drawings, Carol. I'd love to see the expression on the faces of the guys at the maker shed when some little ol' lady minister type shows up and starts building a machine like that. :thumb: :D

@Leo: Comment away! It's how I learn. I am am not offended. In fact, I depend on you to keep me out of trouble!

The electronics bay has an intake filter on the front of the cabinet and 2 3" muffin fans on the back side. Dust is an issue with keyboards and monitors. BTDT! I had little trouble with that while running the machine in the past. I hung dust covers over them when not in use and they continued to live. Switches for auxiliary accessories are planned but the location is not yet decided.

I already have my eyes on a Vista pendant. Just have not drawn it in. The drawing is by no means complete.

Drawers will close on a closed cell sealing strip. Likewise the doors to the electronics bay. Also drawer depth on the right end will fit cutter lengths. Draws in the front will be a little deeper to accommodate hold downs and clamps.

The front of the machine does have a vertical face to clamp pieces to machine on the end or edge. I guess the embedded tee-nuts do not show as clearly as they might, but they are there. And room to the floor also.

Jury is out on the shop vac. Don't know if I have enough vertical room in there yet. I plan to buy a collector for the CNC, so I will have to see how much room I have and what's out there that might fit. If it does. it will be sound-proofed as much as I can make it so.

So far, Leo, I think we are on the same page. But stay in front of me. I'd rather fix something before it is a problem.

There are some film top and sealed (up to nema 4x) keyboards that seem like they'd be perfect for this .. except all the ones I can find cost more than the computer!! :eek: So probably not, but figured I'd throw that out there in case someone knew of a cheaper one..

That keyboard looks intreguing. That would be nice in the new drawer I made.

I have not posted a lot of pics or vids in a while, but I do do some serious upgrades to my machine cabinet. That keyboard would be a perfect fit.

Thank you for not being intimidated by my comments - I only mean to help.

I am so used to a certain configuration on the machines I operate that I want to try to duplicate that at home also.

Of course the industrial machines have different operations like single block, dry run, coolant, machine lock, and other things.

control switches.jpg

What I did here was to use 3 normal duplex recepticals. You can break off the tabs between the 2 recepticals on each duplex and wore them independently. That gives me 6 independent places to plug into. I then wired the 6 switches to each independent receptical. I can plug in any device I want and control it from the front of my machine.

I also want my "E" stop in the most convenient place possible.

There is one on the pendant - but I wanted one DIRECTLY in my line of fire. I can be incredibly FAST at smashing an "E" stop. I have been known to push important people out of the way en-route to the "E" stop. Generally they understand.

Right now I have my over the machine lighting, Hi intensity light, Control on/off, Shop vac all on those switches.

I am really liking the setup.

The plan this weekend was to get the saddle brackets built. It took most of the week to round things up. Friday I arrived at the Makerspace with aluminum flat stock and 4080 extrusion. The space has a lovely Jet metal cutting bandsaw with collant spray. Made short work of the aluminum. In no time, I had pieces cut.

short saddle brackets.jpg

These are the four short ones. There are also two long ones.

Next job was to cut oval slots in the flat stock to receive the angle brackets and extrusion. The plan was to use the Sherline mill. First a way to hold the pieces had to be devised. Turned out to be a small block of aluminum threaded to receive two machine screws to hold down the workpieces. That took most of the afternoon to machine, including noodling and brain storming time. I have never used a mill before so the learning curve commenced and it has been a blast. By the time I had something workable, the day was over.

Saturday, (after the face plant!), I drilled reference holes in all the pieces. Again the day was over before I could get on with the milling.

This afternoon I had a couple of hours, so went it to get a program written to mill the slots. There are 72 of them. That's why I want to use the CNC mill machine.

Here is a shot of how it should work.

ready to mill.jpg

The holding block is locked in the vise. Two machine screws hold the work piece in place. Worked on the g-code and almost have it. Two corrections to make, but again I ran out of time today.

let the chip fly.jpg

Did get some chips to fly. One minute per hole plus change end for end and change to new workpiece. Will try to get in one evening this week to run them. Need some cutting fluid though.

That's very cool that you have access to tools like the Sherline mill. :thumb: Enjoying the progress reports.

Do try to keep your face off the ground though, OK? ;)

Lovely.

Looking at you extruded aluminum compared to the pile I have. I am thinking my stuff is light duty stuff. I am wondering how I am going to fit it into the plan.

Your build will be a huge decision maker for me.

Ohh - and please keep your face away from the ground.

It looks like your on your way to some fun milling. Very creative.

You know I've heard of people's jaw dropping but never dropping their whole face.

I am glad your OK & saved face. Because without that great smile I'd probably not

recognize you.

:lurk: My popcorn is getting stale. ;)

Hope all is well, assume you're working the day job this morning but I'm checking in from the peanut gallery to see how you & your build are doing! :D

Have been out of town with the day job. Have to catch up with the day job the rest of this week. Plan CNC for Saturday though.

BTW, the face is much better. Scabs came off the nose. Bruises under the eyes are fading. Next week I hope to make an appointment with an eye doc to get my glasses replaced.