Walking cane information needed (Updated with Pics)

Tom Baugues

Hello everyone. A couple weeks ago I was involved in an accident and although most of my injuries were minor I did come away with a broken ankle. I've been using crutches to get around on but my Dr. advises me now to start putting weight on my ankle as I learn to walk again. I would like to be able to get rid of my crutches soon and start using a cane. So I think in an effort to keep myself busy I thought I would try to make a walking cane myself. I have been doing some reading about it but most of the projects I've read about use a single solid piece of wood then shaped to size either by hand or turned on a lathe.
My question for you is do you think a cane would be just as strong if I were to glue up several different contrasting woods together then shaped or turned? I'm thinking maybe walnut or cherry and some other exotic wood in the center? As long as the grain all runs lengthwise wouldn't a glue up be strong enough. I'm just thinking if I'm going to make one I would like it to be special.
Any ideas or tips?

Last edited:
Since, typically, long grain glue-ups using modern glues (like Titebond, etc.) are stronger than the woods themselves, your laminated cane ought to be plenty strong enough.

Lee Valley has some nice cane hardware in their catalogs.

It was the motor cycle, right? Hope you heal quickly. I have a cane, ready for when or in case. It was my Grandfathers, that my folks gave him when he got feeble enough to need one. That was back in 1946. I have had to use it for a short while when I had back surgery. I know it works.

Please post what you come up with.

I have several canes (I got run over 44 years ago). Two have solid shafts, one is acrylic and the one I used most is laminated. Actually, I walked with that cane for three years. In addition, I glued up a walking staff, walnut and maple in a cross pattern. That one went backpacking and hiking for maybe 15 years and is still good to go. The biggest thing to keep the laminates intact is to keep a good rubber tip on it. Also, a stick with no tip can be quite slippery on any solid floor.

Heal quick, Tom. I hope you don't need the services of a cane for very long. I just use a strong branch from a holly tree that I cut just for this purpose years ago. Works great when I need it.

Sorry to hear you got banged up. Heal quickly. I'll second Jim's comment about a laminated cane being strong enough. Properly glued, it should be stronger than solid wood.

I'll add my thoughts to the glue up... I don't think I would do an end to end type of glue up... maybe slats glued together and over lapping the joints.
Should work just fine and will be a nice looking cane... you'll likely get lots of comments on it.

If you want to make something fancy and/or special that is fine. But, for just a temporary cane, hickory ones can be purchased very inexpensively. As for piecing, I have made several using brass couplers and they are fine. But, just glueing end to end is probably an unsafe idea. I have joined end to end using hanger screws then turning the joints smooth. You may glue also for added strength. You can have a lot of fun making canes and walking sticks.

Yeah, I wouldn't even think of gluing end to end. But long strips (say 1/8" to 1/4" thick x 1 1/2" or so wide x the length of the cane) stacked and glued would be very stout once it was turned or carved into a round shape.

Just to be clear, which type of glue-up did you have in mind, Tom? Version A or B?

I'd trust version A done with simple wood glue. I'd only trust version B with deep dowels, preferably steel with epoxy holding things together.

Cane%20Glue-Ups.jpg

Looking forward to pics of final product.

I finished this project late last week and have been using it the past several days, and if nothing else it has made my mobility better than having to use crutches to get around. The shaft was glued up from 4, 1/2" square pieces of cherry. The handle was cut out on the bandsaw of a piece of 1" thick cherry board, then hand sanded to shape. I drilled up into the handle 2" and down into the shaft 3" then epoxied a piece of 3/8" threaded rod between the two. I also inserted a small piece of maple as a accent. I applied 3 coats of clear danish oil to bring out the color of the cherry wood. Finished result is nothing fancy but functional.

Attachments

• -2032 (Medium).jpg
    -2032 (Medium).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 34
  • -2036 (Medium).jpg
    -2036 (Medium).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2009 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2009 (Medium).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 35
Looks darn good from here, Tom. Mine is aluminum from my Mother who passed a year and a half ago. Using it this week as well. Got an aching, oozing little toe giving me fits.