Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satin Polyurethane usable as Gloss?

Satin Polyurethane usable as Gloss?

I have some Minwax brand Oil based Fast-Drying Polyurethane in Satin finish. My understanding of polyurethane is that it's all "gloss" and they get Satin and Semi-Gloss finish by adding "flattening" agents. I believe this is why the instructions say to stir before and during use; to keep the flatteners in suspension.

I rarely use gloss poly and have none on hand, but I want to use it this time. However, being cheap, I don't want to shell out $11+tax for a quart of gloss because I only need maybe 3 oz of it. Can I simply not stir the Satin before use?? Would this leave the flatteners at the bottom of the can and pure poly at the top?

I will be applying with a thinner soaked rag... yup, I'm dipping a thinner soaked rag right into the can, because that's how I roll.

Thanks.

If it's been sitting awhile, that should do what you want...give you gloss varnish. However, you method of application may make the balance of the can gum up earlier than it might have otherwise. If you dip out the amount you need and put in a separate container for use (do not put the leftover back in to the can, either), sealing the can back up you may get a few extra months (or something ) to use the balance up...and BTW, the balance may be more flat (less sheen) than you want.

I seriously doubt it. The Satin sheen is created with an additive. You might get some gloss of it by buffing it with very fine compound but it won't look like gloss.

Jack

Hmmmmmm.... well, one yay and one nay. Seems like I just have to try it! Thanks guys.

Fred hit the nail on the head. Follow what he said and you're good to go.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Another agreement with what Fred said.

Let the moths out of the wallet, and spring for a pint of the real stuff.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

But the moths are good guys! There's Bobby and Teddy and Richard. Been livin' in my wallet for years.

Fred got it right. I am using up my stock of satin and semi-gloss finishes by decanting them to eliminate the flattening agents that settle at the bottom. I find I can get a better satin by spraying gloss and using abrasives rather than the grunge in the can.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    ...I find I can get a better satin by spraying gloss and using abrasives rather than the grunge in the can.
    Yeah, al little buffing with maroon or grey Scotchbrite (after a few days curing) gives a nice non-gloss finish, and it's not cloudy like it can be if you'd used multiple coats of flattening agents.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Yeah, al little buffing with maroon or grey Scotchbrite (after a few days curing) gives a nice non-gloss finish, and it's not cloudy like it can be if you'd used multiple coats of flattening agents.
    Another approach that I use is spraying several coats of clear gloss, then one final top coat of satin. Clear gloss provides the depth; satin or semi-gloss gives the final appearance desired.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station