looking through old pictures.

allen levine

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know looking at anyones old family pictures can bore you to death.
I get it.
while I can tolerate someone breaking out a family album to show me their baby pictures, it becomes torture when they want me to sit through 10 albums and a few home movies.

and theres always a story to go with each picture.

I found this picture of my wifes father.

this was back in the early 40s, I believe he was stationed in San Antonio, texas, I don't know if this picture was taken there, I believe from what I looked up, this base is in another state, maybe Louisiana?
anyway, as the story goes, (Ill make it quick), he was just a regular grunt getting ready to be shipped out, a lot of the men (I don't know what they call it, group, platoon,) stationed with him went off to fight in great battles, most of them ended up storming the beaches on D day.(so he told us)
A few days or a week, I don't recall exactly now, before they were getting ready to ship out, someone in the band got ill and he was asked to replace him.
He is the drummer in the picture. He was always a musician, made a side living playing drums for many years after the war.

He always said being a drummer saved him from having to go to Europe, not that he wasn't ready, but it was a lot safer playing drums in the military bases.

I know his older brother served in the navy, but I believe he was navy also. Not sure from the picture.

Attachments

• 100_1794.jpg
    100_1794.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 42