My "granddaughter" is making music, maybe!

Shelby Lynn's mom has always been special to me, a little girl I helped raise for a few years. Lost track of her with all of the hurricanes, moves, and phone number swaps. Machelle caught up with me and we caught up. Her children are grown or nearly so now and the tough times seem behind them. Her son that had leukemia before he was one year old is a fine stout looking young man now. I sweated it coming back all through his childhood.

Anyway, her oldest daughter has taken up singing. Can't tell what she sounds like on most of these snippets, a couple I can hear her in, still can't tell with my ears. Doesn't sound to me like she has found her own voice yet. Maury County is getting some air time in six or seven states and is just out of top eighty which is what it takes to get real air time I believe. The local stations in Southwest Louisiana won't even play her until she hits top eighty.

http://shelbykimble.com/

I have to admit that my friend over Texas way, Floyd Tolston, is more to my tastes in music. Been making music around the Texas scene for about sixty years now. One of the people that put life and family before music, he is a retired school teacher and high school principal, but is known to all of the people that have been making music in Texas even before Waylon and Willie came along. Floyd put out a few CD's after retiring and before CD's went out of style, still releasing a little stuff on the net.

No really rank language, nothing to compare to some today but some of his songs are a wee bit less than PC, be forewarned! His songs range from silly to sad.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=youtube+floyd+tolston&form=HPNTDF&pc=HPNTDF&src=IE-SearchBox

Hu

Thanks guys, Shelby is a very sweet youngster from a very small town. I was able to hear her voice much better on some of the covers of other people's songs she did when she was younger. Sounds pretty good best I can tell but I have been tone deaf all of my life so I'm no judge.

As things usually go, looks like they were trying to make her look tough or edgy in the promo shots, the opposite of what she is! I had to look hard to find any Shelby Lynn underneath the paint and mousse. Whatever works I guess. I talked to Floyd mostly about what he was up to but when I told him Shelby was getting a little air time in seven states he said that was pretty significant. Who knows? I live about ten miles or so from Kentwood, another little flyspeck of a town. A little girl from there did pretty good, Britney Spears. Pretty sure I saw Britney low profiling in the wallyworld down at the big city of Amite a few months ago. Seems like she hasn't changed that much when she gets back to Kentwood.

Hu

Shelby sounds good to my ears. (And I'm not tone deaf, lol.) :thumb: And getting airplay -- even regional airplay -- is a sign that others like what they're hearing, too. Her management must figure the tough/edgy look will sell more product, and I suspect they're right. ;)

Shelby sounds good to my ears. (And I'm not tone deaf, lol.) :thumb: And getting airplay -- even regional airplay -- is a sign that others like what they're hearing, too. Her management must figure the tough/edgy look will sell more product, and I suspect they're right. ;)

They probably are. On the other hand, with everyone trying to look tough and edgy perhaps looking real might be the better idea! Not my rodeo anyway. She seems to be working her way into the music scene and that is what it takes. She may have a hit, she may be on the fringe for twenty years. For everybody that makes it big there are hundreds right below that level. I knew a handful that made pretty big local waves but never hit the bigtime.

A funny story, a friend played with the hottest band around Baton Rouge Louisiana. Fleetwood Mac was coming to town and Pot Liquor was the opening act. In classic Hollywood story fashion something happened to one of Fleetwood Mac's guitar players and they asked Les to fill in. Well he wanted to impress them so he went down to the local music store and bought himself a new thousand dollar guitar on credit, not chump change at the time. The gig went fine. However when Fleetwood Mac left town so did Les's new guitar! All efforts to contact them were ignored. Les was annoyed enough that he never played on stage again and only played as a studio musician for a very high fee, cash in advance! Classic guitar freak, he never understood why his apartment neighbors could get upset when he woke up at two in the morning and needed to play his electric guitar, wide open through his stage amps.

Hu

They probably are. On the other hand, with everyone trying to look tough and edgy perhaps looking real might be the better idea! Not my rodeo anyway. She seems to be working her way into the music scene and that is what it takes...

Right now in the country pop market there are a lot of female artists doing the "sweet and innocent" act. The tough and edgy thing might get her noticed. I was one of those guys who made pretty big waves on the local and regional level, but never did hit it big. One thing I learned back then is that musical talent only plays a small part in being successful in the business. Looks and "the act" play a big part too. Shelby's got the talent and the looks, for sure. :thumb:

Right now in the country pop market there are a lot of female artists doing the "sweet and innocent" act. The tough and edgy thing might get her noticed. I was one of those guys who made pretty big waves on the local and regional level, but never did hit it big. One thing I learned back then is that musical talent only plays a small part in being successful in the business. Looks and "the act" play a big part too. Shelby's got the talent and the looks, for sure. :thumb:

Yeah, a singer or performer has to have the total package today. I'm not even sure that includes being able to sing anymore. Time they get through with the mixing and electronic gadgetry who knows? As for what is hot in country pop today, last time I kept up there was this new outlaw sound out of Texas, before that it was the new Bakerfield sound I was into.

Hu