Thread: Little shaper

Constantine, MI

Little shaper

A coworker had this left to him by a grandfather. Although he is a woodworker he has no use for it. He asked me if I would like to have it and I said sure! However, it needs a little TLC. Does anyone know about this manufacturer or about the shaper itself? Any suggestions on where to find parts or the process I should use to clean it up?

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Thomasville, GA
    I can't tell you anything about it, Rennie, but I found this spec sheet. There are manuals for sale on ebay and Amazon. Looks like an interesting little tool!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

To clean it up after removing the dust, I would use citric acid for the top and once clean apply any of the usual products for cast iron tops. For the body I always get good results with WD40 because it leaves de surfaces where the paint has come off protected. the motor and inner guts are a different matter.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Neat tool. For clean up I'm pretty much a WD-40 guy. Then Johnsons paste wax on the top. I get a lot of use out of my Grizzly mini-shaper. I'm sure you will find many uses for that one.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

ABQ NM
    Nice score, Rennie. It looks like a benchtop router table on steroids.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

St. Louis, MO
    I like those benchtop shapers - used to have a JD Wallace "Workace" and now use an old Delta light duty model. What all did your shaper come with - motor, stand, cutters, etc.? I think that one uses 1/2" shaper cutters. They're not hard to find if you don't have a good variety to choose from. Routers spin up a lot faster, and router bits are easier/cheaper to get. The shaper cutters, though, are pretty easy to resharpen when needed, and the machine runs a lot quieter than a router table (assuming you use an induction motor).

That shaper is a pretty simple machine and is a lot more robust than any router you'll ever use. Replacing the bearings should be pretty straight forward, and a decent notched belt will handle the small pulley just fine. I expect it will clean up really well.

Have fun with it.