first car cribbage board prototypes done

Dan Noren

Staff member
since it was my first day off, i slept in for a bit, then it was off to pop's to work on the car cribbage board prototypes. i finished coding up the tool paths for all of them over the last few days, and some of the state boards as well. all i can say is, thanks to leo for aiming me at cut2v, it works like a charm. the first one i did was of the 1950 chevy fastback sedan (one of pop's favorite cars), the first go round of the text went ok, and i was happy with the depth, but the depth of the car was a bit shallow for my liking. so i upped the depth of cut a hair, and it seemed ok, but a little on the heavy side. so, for the 1956 chevy bel air sport coupe, i took a split cat hair off the depth of cut, and liked that one much better. the 50 went to pop, and the 56 will be going to my brother jimmy as soon as he gets back from a car show in iowa (when last spoken to, they were lost in des moines). i gave them a quick hit with spray on shellac that i had, to protect them a bit, and darken the mdf a bit. they didn't take as long as i thought they would, and i think that i can bump up the feed rate for the cars a bit more too. tomorrow it will be a couple of the state boards. almost forgot, the boards are all going to be 11x22 inches. that was what i came up with in order to keep the detail of the cars and still get a 120 point board. the states are all 60 point boards.

Attachments

• 50 chevy fastback.jpg
    50 chevy fastback.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 56 chevy bel air sport coupe.jpg
    56 chevy bel air sport coupe.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 52
both were 1/8", 60 deg engraver for text and car body, 1/8" (forget the real name) flat bottom for the holes. feed rate was at 20 inches, but could be upped more since this is just mdf.

thanks bill! that was the name that escaped me. thanks garry and jay! now i just have to figure out what kind of real wood to use. i think i'm leaning towards birch, then staining them, to bring out the engraving a bit more. since i've inherited some bits, including what looks like a spiral upcut bit (taper with a really small cutting part on the end), i will have to redo the panel inserts on the 57 coupe and nomad, to take advantage of the new bits. but, that's tomorrow's fun!

did some more testing yesterday (when i should have been sleeping before work), the only boards that would cause me concern were the pair of 57 chevys (sport coupe, and nomad). there is the matter of the inserts on the sides going back to the tail fins. i had drawn the lines of the inserts freehand, and needed to see how they would come out, the reason for yesterday's test. well, my thoughts on this were confirmed, some wider than others, others narrow to the point of fragility. so i took to redrawing the lines for the inserts, spacing them 3/32" apart, so that the width between lines would be the same as one of the wing window details. another test is soon in the works.

Attachments

• 57 chevy bel air sport coupe test.jpg
    57 chevy bel air sport coupe test.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
Your project is coming right along, Dan!

Testing is good - exactly what I'm doing this morning with a plaque I'm making. I've got to find a different font or a different process to convert my bitmap to toolpaths. F-Engrave reads both edges of the font rather than just a single line - saw the same effect with MakerCAM. More playtime!

got some stuff done today with the cnc. i flipped over the mdf blank from the first test of the 57, and ran the fixed version. the lines on the tail fin insert came out quite nicely. then i started in on the jimzilla sign.

Attachments

• 010 tail fin detail.jpg
    010 tail fin detail.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 57 sport coupe.jpg
    57 sport coupe.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
thanks bill! that was the name that escaped me. thanks garry and jay! now i just have to figure out what kind of real wood to use. i think i'm leaning towards birch, then staining them, to bring out the engraving a bit more. since i've inherited some bits, including what looks like a spiral upcut bit (taper with a really small cutting part on the end), i will have to redo the panel inserts on the 57 coupe and nomad, to take advantage of the new bits. but, that's tomorrow's fun!

Great lookin boards Dan. This is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 1947 ford.jpg
    1947 ford.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 6
Dan these are going to be a nice niche for your market. You have excellent crisp lines, what you thinking in terms of final wood and finish. You can do a whole series even things like helicopters, planes, horses list goes on and on. It can be merchandised on a stand that towers and rotates like you find peoples names on when you go to a gift store. If you could make your cnc portable you could even offer to customize it with a name at the market while they wait, would add to the attraction of your stall.