First time in 44 years

Roger Tulk

OK, stop that dirty thinking! While I was in Edmonton this weekend, my son and I went to a shooting range. The last time I fired a pistol was in 1971, and it was a .22 at the firing range at university. I decided to start off with a .22 Ruger and then switched to a 9mm. The 9mm. was American made, but I forget the brand. It was not one Ì am familiar with.

The .22 was a little difficult for me as I couldn't see the holes, but I wasn't too unhappy with the spread. The 9mm was a little easier as I could see the holes and once I figured out the aim I was able to get most of the rounds in the red. We fired fifty rounds at each target.

tmp_4424-20150704_2215331411240380.jpg

Damn, but that was fun!

Yep, that's definitely some good shooting, Roger!

I took my granddaughter to our shooting range a couple of weeks ago. It was her first time to even hold a gun of any kind. I started her on my S&W .357 Magnum, but used .38 Special cartridges. Next, she fired of a few rounds with my Ruger SR9c 9mm. All of her shots hit well inside a 16" square target at about 50' - not bad for her first time.

Roger,
Last time I fired a pistol was in 1963... I was shooting a Colt .45 automatic.... I was being "qualified" as a second class petty office with a hand gun... my target was the pacific ocean and I hit it square in the water.... I think, though I couldn't see the holes either. :D

Good job with the targets... pretty good shootin'

Roger,
Last time I fired a pistol was in 1963... I was shooting a Colt .45 automatic.... I was being "qualified" as a second class petty office with a hand gun... my target was the pacific ocean and I hit it square in the water.... I think, though I couldn't see the holes either. :D

Good job with the targets... pretty good shootin'

Are you sure that you didn't miss and hit the Indian Ocean instead?

Nice shooting! Now move them out to three meters:rofl:

The majority of my shooting for the past year or so has been close range point & shoot stuff. The monthly shooting club I'm a member of does various "practical shooting" drills at distances ranging from 1 to about 7 yards, with the majority being 3 or 4 yards. I've gotten pretty proficient at shooting man-sized targets quickly while on the move and drawing from a holster (just barely relying on the sights). But I went out shooting last weekend with some friends and discovered I apparently no longer know how to take a slow, careful aim and hit a 4" circle at 7 yards. :doh: :rofl:

.... I apparently no longer know how to take a slow, careful aim and hit a 4" circle at 7 yards. :doh: :rofl:
I'm with you. I usually shoot 3 and 7 yards. The husband of a colleague was an instructor for the local PD and has been generous with his teaching time and I spent a fair amount of time on ranges in the military....still wouldn't bet on consistent hits in the bull at 7 yards. Fortunately, the Crimson Trace grips have helped compensate for some of the age related infirmities. My 45's hit that dot almost every time as long the lighting is right.

I'm not sure, but I think these targets were at about 7 or 8 metres. It looked about that far, anyway. A friend of mine in Toronto, who is a bit of a gun nut, has invited me to come and shoot some of the guns in his collection. I'll have to take him up on that.

Are you sure that you didn't miss and hit the Indian Ocean instead?

Nope, don't think the .45 has that kind of range... we were about 100 miles off shore from San Francisco.

My first target was supposed to be a weather balloon about 60 feet up in the air over the fantail...
do you know a .45 will not puncture a natural rubber weather balloon? It just moves out of the way.
And if I had punctured it, the weather observation guy would have probably been ticked off at both me and the gunner's mate.:D:D