Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow!! This is fun!

Wow!! This is fun!

As told in previous post I bought a Rikon mini lathe. Got it all set up and was waiting on tools to arrive.
    Was told to check the head and tail stock points to match (poor photo). Matched perfect.
    Saturday afternoon Fed X truck pulls up (didnít know they worked on Sat. ) with new tools. I donít even know a skew from a gouge but they sure look pretty .
    Only had a few minutes before dinner, but had to try something. Took a piece of 2X2 and made me a retriever stick to toss out on the pond for our Lab. Sure is going to be fun and interesting tool to learn and work with .

I am sorry to hear that

you got sucked into that dreaded affliction you will never return the same, i know it takes alot of will power to hold it off. been fightin it for some time, and to be truthfull each time i get close to one i now have to look at them closer.. i need to go take some more meds ,, congrats and have fun, wait till you get into turnin bowls outa green wood rather than dry 2x2's then you will be on clud nine so they tell me... have fun chuck enjoy..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looking good Chuck. Looks like you have already got the hang on things. Get you a couple of good videos and have some fun. Congrats on getting it setup.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thatís when you return from work one day
    and say, ďHi, Honey, Iím home Ė forever.Ē

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome to the Vortex Chuck! You won't have trouble staying broke now.....but you'll smile a lot!

I told my wife that Bernie, Ken and Vaughn were paying the bill. All she needs is the addresses to send the bills to . You three can PM me with your address.
    She is hunting for you guys
    Will still need much help.
    Thanks for all of your info,
    Chuck

Chuck I think it is mostly Vaughn's fault so you won't need my address.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thatís when you return from work one day
    and say, ďHi, Honey, Iím home Ė forever.Ē

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chuck...I think Bernie is right so you won't need my address either!

Chuck, our new turning buddy, you are hooked

A couple of things, make sure that the lathe is at the right height, I have mine set so that the center of the spindle is about 2" above the height my had would be as if I were reaching out to shake someone's hand. I had it lower, at first, but I found a bit higher was better (for me).

Experiment a bit with the height, especially if you find you are getting any pains (that you did not have before the lathe came, and not counting the pocketbook kind) it could be the height.

if you are standing on concrete floors, get a mat to stand on, even some old carpet or something, as you will find you stand in front of that lathe a LONG time and a mat is really nice to stand on, compared to concrete.

Otherwise, wear a faceshield and have a ball!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Poor Vaughn....

DT

Congrats Chuck! You're up and running. And that might look like a "retriever stick", but the proper technical term is "bonker". Turning a bonker as the first item off a new lathe is a long-standing turner tradition, dating way, way back. (At least back to 2006.) That piece of dry 2x4 may have been fun, but wait until you try a piece of green wood on the new lathe. Green wood's a lot more fun to turn, IMHO. (Now just don't go cutting down the trees in your yard. All we need is for your wife to start blaming that on us, too.)

And don't let Bernie and Ken fool you...they were turning before I even started, so it must have been their fault.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com