Wow!! This is fun!

Chuck Hanger

:wave:
As told in previous post I bought a Rikon mini lathe. Got it all set up and was waiting on tools to arrive.
Was told to check the head and tail stock points to match (poor photo). Matched perfect.
Saturday afternoon Fed X truck pulls up (didn’t know they worked on Sat.:huh: ) with new tools. I don’t even know a skew from a gouge:dunno: but they sure look pretty:D .
Only had a few minutes before dinner, but had to try something. Took a piece of 2X2 and made me a retriever stick to toss out on the pond for our Lab. Sure is going to be fun and interesting tool to learn and work with:) :) :) .

Attachments

• DCP01566 (576 x 432).jpg
    DCP01566 (576 x 432).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 30
  • lathe 005.jpg
    lathe 005.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 24
  • lathe 002.jpg
    lathe 002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 26
  • lathe 007.jpg
    lathe 007.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 34
I am sorry to hear that

you got sucked into that dreaded affliction you will never return the same, i know it takes alot of will power to hold it off. been fightin it for some time, and to be truthfull each time i get close to one i now have to look at them closer.. i need to go take some more meds:D ,, congrats and have fun, wait till you get into turnin bowls outa green wood rather than dry 2x2's then you will be on clud nine so they tell me... have fun chuck enjoy..:thumb:

I told my wife that Bernie, Ken and Vaughn were paying the bill. All she needs is the addresses to send the bills to:rofl: . You three can PM me with your address.
She is hunting for you guys:bonkers: :crash: :crash:
Will still need much help.:dunno:
Thanks for all of your info,
Chuck

Chuck, our new turning buddy, you are hooked :clap: :D

A couple of things, make sure that the lathe is at the right height, I have mine set so that the center of the spindle is about 2" above the height my had would be as if I were reaching out to shake someone's hand. I had it lower, at first, but I found a bit higher was better (for me).

Experiment a bit with the height, especially if you find you are getting any pains (that you did not have before the lathe came, and not counting the pocketbook kind) it could be the height.

if you are standing on concrete floors, get a mat to stand on, even some old carpet or something, as you will find you stand in front of that lathe a LONG time and a mat is really nice to stand on, compared to concrete.

Otherwise, wear a faceshield and have a ball!!:thumb:

Congrats Chuck! You're up and running. And that might look like a "retriever stick", but the proper technical term is "bonker". Turning a bonker as the first item off a new lathe is a long-standing turner tradition, dating way, way back. (At least back to 2006.) :D That piece of dry 2x4 may have been fun, but wait until you try a piece of green wood on the new lathe. Green wood's a lot more fun to turn, IMHO. (Now just don't go cutting down the trees in your yard. All we need is for your wife to start blaming that on us, too.) :rofl:

And don't let Bernie and Ken fool you...they were turning before I even started, so it must have been their fault.

Chuck....bonkers are nice...but get a fresh tree limb...turn a bonker and experience "curlies"..........With a good sharp tool you can shoot a stream of curlies over your shoulder! It's a kick in the pants!

Let's see Vaughn.....Bernies says it's your fault....I agree......Uh.....by my fingers and toes...that's 2 to 1...............Chuck...send the missus to see Vaughn.......:D

Been trying to send her to all of you, even offered to pay expenses. She just doesn't trust you guys to pick her up at the airport:and don't worry about bonkers, she has ont that reads in the back of my head that says "Ye Old Cast Iron Skilit Company 1913 rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks Stu for your helpful hints on making my stand, that really helps out. Did the little thing that I done with it just setting on a couple of 2X4 and never clamped it down (excited I guess). Smooth running little thing, never moved. Still don't know what these tools are called:dunno:. Sure had some fun though......:D Will aquire the right things as the other 3 sucker me in more and can blame it on them.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for all of your support,
Chuck

A special thanks!!

I would like to give you all a special thanks for all of the help:thumb: and a special thanks to Vaughn for steering me to a set of decent tools that I could afford:thumb:
Thanks a million guys,
Chuck