Bitmap to Vectors?

V-Carve.jpg

Don't use the profile tool path - use the one I circled above. It's not only about the tool - it is the tool path selection.

Look closely at the picture I posted.

When using a "V" bit the bit will fit between the double lines. It will go as deep as it can go until the sides of the angle reach the double lines. See the "V" below. Notice the Green "V" grooving above - as the double lines get wider - the "V" groove cuts deeper.

Vectors.jpg

Using a sharper angle will allow the tool to cut deeper - conversely - a shallower angle will not cut as deep.

In my sketch - I included a couple of closed double vectors. Notice - the ends have a line to close the vectors. If there is a gap, anywhere in the vector, it is considered open.

Just to add a note here - if you make a circle and V-Groove it with this toolpath - you will get a nice eyeball, but be careful how big it is.

The cut preview in Frame 1 of my previous post was done using a v-bit and the Vcarve/Engraving toolpath. As you said, that appears to give the best result for this graphic.

Outline vs Center Line trace

I was having the same results with Inkscape. Everything was an outline (double) unless I drew the original in a hairline setting.
In doing a little looking, and ran across a couple of trace programs that do either outline or center line tracing. One, http://rapidresizer.com does the conversion online and lets you download the results.
What I have been finding is that most of the conversions are in the order the drawing was done. In cutting, it wants to cut in order so it makes more moves than necessary. A simple 5 piece outline plunges and moves 4 times rather than just going around the outline one time.

Thanks for the link, William. I tried my graphic in it and got single lines, but it missed a lot of detail. I varied the smoothness setting but no change.