Thread: Problem with powder glue...

Problem with powder glue...

maybe someone has the answer. This morning I mixed up some Dap Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue to glue some scraps together and attempt to turn a shallow bowl. Anyway, I couldn't get the powder to dissolve in the water. I always mix by weight following the 5 glue/3 parts water spec'd on the label, but this glue was decidedly lumpy, and no amount of mixing would solve it. This container is fresh (I think) I bought it from Amazon last March, and it gets stored with my reloading supplies (dehumidified cabinet). I haven't learned the secret for deciphering the code dates on these containers, and on this one the code date is only 1/2 there anyway, but I usually buy from the 'zon since it looks like their stuff is the freshest available. Think it's bad....or should I do something different in the mixing process. BTW, I've used a fair amount of this stuff, and have never had this problem before.

The only time I had an issue like you describe is when I got some old glue. I bought it at a True Value store and didn't check the date on the container. When it behaved the way yours is, I tried everything I could think of to get it to mix and nothing worked. Tossed it and got new stuff from Joe Woodworker.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks, I'm thinking that's what I'll have to do here.

I had that problem one time and never got it to mix. I have no idea if it was out dated, never thought to look. I had used it before (different container of it) with no problem. I tossed the container I was having a problem with and used a different glue for the project I was working on.
    "We the People ......"

Another vote for old glue. I've used quite a bit of the Weldwood stuff and the only times I've had the "won't mix" problem is when it was old. I'm guessing the stock picker in the Amazon warehouse grabbed a container off the back of the shelf.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well, I threw it out and ordered another canister. Interesting enough, I took the scrap wood bowl blank out of the clamps this morning and it seems to have really held together. After I cut it round, I took the scrap and tried to separate the pieces at the glue, no give at all. Not suggesting I should have kept the glue....but I this blank is for my lathe training and I think I'll still be able to use it.

If you still have it and only for the sake of finding out, you could try warming up the water. Warming water changes its superficial tension and increases its diluting capacity.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

If I get lumps, I use a rubber kitchen scraper to mash the lumps, then let it set for another 5 minutes. Never had a problem other than the irritation. Always add the powder to the water, works much better. Roughly 2:1 by volume, but add powder until it is the thickness of thin pancake batter.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com