Problem with powder glue...

fred hargis

maybe someone has the answer. This morning I mixed up some Dap Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue to glue some scraps together and attempt to turn a shallow bowl. Anyway, I couldn't get the powder to dissolve in the water. I always mix by weight following the 5 glue/3 parts water spec'd on the label, but this glue was decidedly lumpy, and no amount of mixing would solve it. This container is fresh (I think) I bought it from Amazon last March, and it gets stored with my reloading supplies (dehumidified cabinet). I haven't learned the secret for deciphering the code dates on these containers, and on this one the code date is only 1/2 there anyway, but I usually buy from the 'zon since it looks like their stuff is the freshest available. Think it's bad....or should I do something different in the mixing process. BTW, I've used a fair amount of this stuff, and have never had this problem before.

The only time I had an issue like you describe is when I got some old glue. I bought it at a True Value store and didn't check the date on the container. When it behaved the way yours is, I tried everything I could think of to get it to mix and nothing worked. Tossed it and got new stuff from Joe Woodworker.

I had that problem one time and never got it to mix. I have no idea if it was out dated, never thought to look. I had used it before (different container of it) with no problem. I tossed the container I was having a problem with and used a different glue for the project I was working on.

Another vote for old glue. I've used quite a bit of the Weldwood stuff and the only times I've had the "won't mix" problem is when it was old. I'm guessing the stock picker in the Amazon warehouse grabbed a container off the back of the shelf.

Well, I threw it out and ordered another canister. Interesting enough, I took the scrap wood bowl blank out of the clamps this morning and it seems to have really held together. After I cut it round, I took the scrap and tried to separate the pieces at the glue, no give at all. Not suggesting I should have kept the glue....but I this blank is for my lathe training and I think I'll still be able to use it.

If you still have it and only for the sake of finding out, you could try warming up the water. :huh: Warming water changes its superficial tension and increases its diluting capacity.

If I get lumps, I use a rubber kitchen scraper to mash the lumps, then let it set for another 5 minutes. Never had a problem other than the irritation. Always add the powder to the water, works much better. Roughly 2:1 by volume, but add powder until it is the thickness of thin pancake batter.