Question about DC

Bart Leetch

I was reading about the HF DC set up by Mike Turner & read about Vaughn's baffle & had a thought of my own is there much difference between making this baffle & installing a Wok to be like the Jet DC. Also if the DC system is in another closet outside the shop wall would it work to install a paddle system moved by the saw dust in the bag to move a switch to the off position in one side of the 220v wiring to the DC shutting off the DC & sending the power to a horn or bright light to notify the operator that the DC is full?

Last edited:
The baffle is supposed to separate a smidge better than the wok, but it's a matter of degree. You can also install the baffle into the ring of the bag setup, if I was going that way that's what I'd do over the wok.

I don't think you want to shut off the DC, at least I don't cause of you're in the middle of planing a decent sized board it will be a heck of a clog to clear. Early warning on the other hand would be nice :D. So far haven't done anything (successful) here. I don't think the sawdust will create enough pressure to move a switch. The three designs I've seen so far are:
A moving paddle that rotates and triggers when the turning is obstructed.
A distance sensor, onieda sells a bin sensor based on this, me and a buddy tried to make one but the beam width on the cheap sensor we found triggered on the walls of the barrel and didn't work. I've since found some other sensors that look like they might work but haven't gotten around to ordering any to try.
An obstruction sensor beam, like for a garage door opener pointed across the bin or the pipe above the bin. Most diy sensors do this because the parts are readily and relatively cheaply available.

With this regular DC system & the baffle it still runs everything through the impeller so why couldn't a person just run PVC outside & dump under a small roof into a plywood box fastened to a pallet with a hinged side to open like a truck tailgate. This I could pick up with my Bobcat forks to haul away & dump. Actually I wouldn't even need the baffle or filter.

I've got the baffle in my HF DC and it works well, dunno how much better than a wok, but same concept, to stop the cyclone in the lower bag from stirring up the dust and allowing it to pull up in to the top filter.

I've tried a small solar motor for the paddle mounted in various positions in my bin, but there's just not enough turbulence with the baffle in place to get it to spin in the first place. I'm currently testing out a ir sensor, but have yet to get enough dust in the bin to set it off.

With this regular DC system & the baffle it still runs everything through the impeller so why couldn't a person just run PVC outside & dump under a small roof into a plywood box fastened to a pallet with a hinged side to open like a truck tailgate. This I could pick up with my Bobcat forks to haul away & dump. Actually I wouldn't even need the baffle or filter.

In that case I'd pull the whole bag assembly and just run a straight pipe. Your airflow ought to go up a measurable amount if you do that as well.

The possible downside (depending on your setup) is that it is moving a lot of air so if you're in an enclosed space you need makeup air from someplace. If you have things like a gas hot water heater or furnace in the space you have to be careful not to pull a vacuum and suck the fumes back into the shop. If your shop is open or leaks like a sieve then its not a problem.