Another Vectric Believer - Thanks, Leo!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
After digging in my heels about spending anything on CNC software, I pulled the trigger for VCarve Desktop today. I spent uncounted hours over the past several days practicing with the trial version, almost going blind from staring at the computer screen! The more I worked with the product, the easier it got. Although I was a bit bewildered by the user interface at first, it all began to make sense after a few deep breaths. Vectric really has their act together with a complete package of software and training aids. As I said, I really balked at actually paying money for software, but this is well worth it!

I've drawn several things for practice. The item below incorporates several processes. I got the idea, in part, from one of Dan's cribbage plaques. My son served in the USMC in the first Desert War in Kuwait. I thought it would be nice to make this to hold his photo in uniform. The upper part drops out when the back gets a pocket cut. The finished size will be 15" high by 8.5" wide.

USMC-1.jpg

That will be a great piece Bill. I'm really liking the software also, just need to get back to practicing with it again. The heat here has just been a bit much to do much out in the shop at all the past week, so may spend a little more time learning some more techniques with it.

Excellent, bill! I'm with you on paying for software. Vectric is the first company to get a dime out of me for software in a very long time - and a LOT of dimes, too!

If you haven't watched the tutorial videos, I can't recommend them enough.

I am glad you went there Bill - life will be a lot more fun now.

I too really tried the free marked before I bought into V-Carve Pro version 4. At that level there was NO 3D possibilities.

I will suggest STUDY of the tutorials, don't just watch them.

There are several that I have work through many times over.

Another great thing is the Vectric user forum - AWESOME support from the talented users there.

I don't advertise forums on another forum as a rule, but I don't think there is a conflict of interest here.

I am on that forum Daily, as I am here Daily.

their stuff is crazy expensive but there is nothing else i have seen that compares!

Price is relative - MasterCam is in the 20-40 THOUSAND dollar price range.

ArtCam is a contender and comparative to Vectric. It is also a nice package and relatively user friendly. Their pricing structure is a little different, the support in my opinion is not as good, and the user forum is also not as good.

My personal preference is Vectric - but not everyone feels that way.

Some people like Ford - Some like Chevy.

Some like Mary Ann - some like Ginger.

Some people will buy a hand place worth the software cost.

It's a tool - why not have good tools.

Mary Ann - Definitely!!!

As to value of software you purchase, I looked at several options I read about on other forums. People were really positive about this one or that one and had good reasons for their choice. In some cases, a product might have had capabilities similar to VCarve and cost twice as much. Products costing less have less capability. Working with the trial version of VCarve Desktop showed me enough to give me confidence to move forward.

you are absolutely correct. plus i suspect it would be pretty easy to make your money back making things to sell if you wanted to

Price is relative - MasterCam is in the 20-40 THOUSAND dollar price range.

ArtCam is a contender and comparative to Vectric. It is also a nice package and relatively user friendly. Their pricing structure is a little different, the support in my opinion is not as good, and the user forum is also not as good.

My personal preference is Vectric - but not everyone feels that way.

Some people like Ford - Some like Chevy.

Some like Mary Ann - some like Ginger.

Some people will buy a hand place worth the software cost.

It's a tool - why not have good tools.