Pocket Screw Installation Tool Preference?

Pocket Screw Installation Tool

• Drill/Driver, clutched, corded or cordless

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Impact Driver

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Hand tool, manual powered tool of some type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (teeth, fingers??)

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

David Agnew

I'm curious about what tool(s) y'all use to install pocket screws.

I got an impact driver last year and just recently had the opportunity to drive a bunch of pocket screws.... I'm not sure I like the impacter for the task... it seems like the flat pocket head kept the screw from over driving, but the impact torque spun the screw and the threads destroyed the hole.

Last edited:
I use one of my trusty PC 1800D drivers, starting with a light clutch setting. As I start setting the first screw, I increase the clutch until I get a good, tight fit without stripping the wood fibers. Then, keep the clutch setting for the remainder of that segment of the job.

Depends on the position. Generally a small 12v clutched drill/driver. I also have a Milwaukee Hummingbird and a right angle VS drill. For finer things I drive them by hand.

I would expect the impact driver to do just as you described....doesn't sound like a good idea. They go in so easy I've never found a cordless drill to have problems with them.

I generally save the impact driver for driving long screws in construction type projects. Too easy to overdrive and split the wood or strip the hole.

I use my 12v milwaukee drill and like Bill mentioned set the torque clutch. Tried a driver and had similar experience to you. It did not have a clutch on it so could not control the torque.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have always used my impact driver for years with no issues...........but now the next time I will snap one, better switch to my drill driver before murphy kicks in:rofl:

Wow. Overwhelming consensus is that I was using the wrong tool for the job!

This looks like a good excuse to upgrade my 7 year-old Craftsman 18v drill/driver with the nearly dead batteries.

I use an impact driver for ALL screw setting. In fact, it's a 20 volt Dewalt. After many many years in the HVAC trade using them for sheetmetal screws, I hate using regular drill/drivers for screws. A light touch and careful trigger finger keeps it the best tool for the job for me. I'm more apt to pull threads with a drill. So, for me, whether driving 3 1/2" deck screws, 1/2" lag screws, or tiny little screws it's the tool for me.

I predominantly use a driver on low speed and just pulse the trigger towards the end to snug up the joint. I do from time to time use an impact usually when clearance is an issue as the impact has a smaller body than my driver or out of laziness because the impact is within reach and the driver isn't.... when doing so I do the same as the driver as soon as the impact clacks I stop then give it 1 or 2 quick pulses of the trigger. rarely do I ever set the clutch. its more of a feel as to when to stop.