So - does anybody know the skinny on Windows 10

I am a desktop user

I currently have my CNC machine on XP

My shop and my wife and my laptop are all Win 7

My desk computer is win 8.1

Is there any good reason to upgrade - "free"

Are there any reasons I should not upgrade

I am OK with win 7, and win 8.1

Xp does not network as well with "homegroup" network - but I get what I need out of it.

I just have to ask does your wife pop up those blue screens & quite working until you re-boot her?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I'm sticking with Win 7 Pro for my CNC for now. I have Win 7 on mine and the wife's laptops and 8.1 on a desktop. I'm upgrading my laptop and the desktop when 10 comes out to see how I like it. I'll wait for the software folks to all say 10 is good for them before making any changes to the CNC!!!

From the reviews I've read I'm really looking forward to the release and I've got to tell you, it's the first time I've looked forward to a Win upgrade since 3.11 switched to Win 95..... I preferred DOS and had to completely reinstall the first Win 95 computer I got because I tried to delete windows to free up space...... turns out they made it the OS and kicked MSDOS to the curb..

Now for browsing and forum reading, I use an Android tablet with Chrome and love it!

- Robert

I'm still working on a 12+ year old Dell desktop (Knock on green wood -- two rap on the side of the head) that still works for everything I want. I run XP2000 on it... I have upgraded once when it crashed, but the upgrade was a reboot of XP2000.... my wife's new laptop is Win 7 -- I don't like it, not as user friendly as my XP (or I just don't know enough about Win 7)... my son is a professional computer geek and he said not to use 8.1... actually I think most of his work is done on MAC's... he does keep Microsoft around for his gaming. Haven't talked to him about Win 10 yet, so not sure of his stance there. When he gave me a copy of XP2000 to reboot my Dell, he also gave me a copy of Ubuntu so I could get my data back.. I actually liked the Linux base of Ubuntu, but didn't keep it as I was more used to the Microsoft base...

None of this answers your question... I'm not enough of a computer person to have an answer.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Chuck, just to clarify for the other folks, you either have Windows XP or you have Windows 2000. There is no XP2000.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have multiple XP machines, and they work just fine, including networking with Win 7 and win 8.1 BUT you have to avoid any use of homegroup. I don't know what MS did to screw up networking, but apparently Homegroup only works with homegroup, not with the rest of the world. You don't have to use Homegroup in Win 7 and 8, even though they keep pushing it.

I also have one win 7 machine and one win 8.1 machine. The 8.1 has a free upgrade to Win X (ten), they decide when it will be downloaded, but you decide when to install it. I talked with someone in a group that is beta testing Win X, and he complains that the ones running WinX are always late for meetings since the have to reboot to get their meeting data our of their computers. Sounds like I am going to wait a while to install X
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I am not real good at the networking thing at all. Trying to get win 7 and 8.1 and XP to play well together is more than I am capable of.

Getting homegroup to play well with homegroup to me is simplicity - the main issue is that XP does not work with home group.

I do have XP and homegroup to be functional enough so that I can manage to send CNC programs and manage the CNC folder from my desk.

I had wni98se way longer than most people did - same with XP.

I like Win 7 and I don't mind Win 8.1

The one and only reason I have a powerful computer on my desk is for the CAD and CAM - and it helps with video editing.

The reason I ask about Win 10 - is because the upgrade is free. If I had to pay $10 for it, or $50 or $100 - I would NOT be asking the question. I am FAR too Yankee cheap for that.

Saw something the other day that the home version only has a choice for automatic updates, with manual or automatic restart. No option to do manual updates. Probably not a bad option for most users, but I like to let other report problems with updates and installing manually when patches for those problems are released.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

What can I tell you? It is coming. Until we see the final license, I still have questions about the "free upgrade" model, as there is still debate about versions and Windows as a service, etc.
    Is there a pro verses home model and is there a 365 model where you have to pay for it yearly? What one is the company giving away or does it depend on the version your running (pro gets pro, etc). Is it you get the base product, but then you have to pay for x features or have a subscription to security updates?
    Have you looked at the site for your cnc software? When do they say it will be ready for 10 (no reason to upgrade if it causes issues, tend to wait a while).
    I bought one computer with 8.1 on it, for gaming with family. I dislike Windows enough, and don't enjoy gaming as much as I once did, that it rarely gets turned on and I keep thinking about converting it to a dual boot system, so at least the hardware doesn't go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    What can I tell you? It is coming. Until we see the final license, I still have questions about the "free upgrade" model, as there is still debate about versions and Windows as a service, etc.
    Is there a pro verses home model and is there a 365 model where you have to pay for it yearly? What one is the company giving away or does it depend on the version your running (pro gets pro, etc). Is it you get the base product, but then you have to pay for x features or have a subscription to security updates?
    Have you looked at the site for your cnc software? When do they say it will be ready for 10 (no reason to upgrade if it causes issues, tend to wait a while).
    I bought one computer with 8.1 on it, for gaming with family. I dislike Windows enough, and don't enjoy gaming as much as I once did, that it rarely gets turned on and I keep thinking about converting it to a dual boot system, so at least the hardware doesn't go to waste.

My Vectric Aspire will run on Win 10 - that has already been tested.

My CNC machine will stay on XP - or upgrade to win 7 when I upgrade my desktop (this is just how I rotate my machines). That is years away.

I am not going to do the actual upgrade unless I see someone posting how that really like the win 10. I would only do it cause - it's free and eventually we will all be on 10 anyway.

I think this is Microsoft's way to get a better market share of the mobile device market. Desktops are out for the most part, which is my biggest concern, as I am a desktop user.