So - does anybody know the skinny on Windows 10

I am a desktop user

I currently have my CNC machine on XP

My shop and my wife and my laptop are all Win 7

My desk computer is win 8.1

Is there any good reason to upgrade - "free"

Are there any reasons I should not upgrade

I am OK with win 7, and win 8.1

Xp does not network as well with "homegroup" network - but I get what I need out of it.

I'm sticking with Win 7 Pro for my CNC for now. I have Win 7 on mine and the wife's laptops and 8.1 on a desktop. I'm upgrading my laptop and the desktop when 10 comes out to see how I like it. I'll wait for the software folks to all say 10 is good for them before making any changes to the CNC!!! :bonkers:

From the reviews I've read I'm really looking forward to the release and I've got to tell you, it's the first time I've looked forward to a Win upgrade since 3.11 switched to Win 95..... I preferred DOS and had to completely reinstall the first Win 95 computer I got because I tried to delete windows to free up space...... turns out they made it the OS and kicked MSDOS to the curb..:doh:

Now for browsing and forum reading, I use an Android tablet with Chrome and love it!

- Robert

I'm still working on a 12+ year old Dell desktop (Knock on green wood -- two rap on the side of the head) that still works for everything I want. I run XP2000 on it... I have upgraded once when it crashed, but the upgrade was a reboot of XP2000.... my wife's new laptop is Win 7 -- I don't like it, not as user friendly as my XP (or I just don't know enough about Win 7)... my son is a professional computer geek and he said not to use 8.1... actually I think most of his work is done on MAC's... he does keep Microsoft around for his gaming. Haven't talked to him about Win 10 yet, so not sure of his stance there. When he gave me a copy of XP2000 to reboot my Dell, he also gave me a copy of Ubuntu so I could get my data back.. I actually liked the Linux base of Ubuntu, but didn't keep it as I was more used to the Microsoft base...

None of this answers your question... I'm not enough of a computer person to have an answer.

Chuck, just to clarify for the other folks, you either have Windows XP or you have Windows 2000. There is no XP2000. ;)

I have multiple XP machines, and they work just fine, including networking with Win 7 and win 8.1 BUT you have to avoid any use of homegroup. I don't know what MS did to screw up networking, but apparently Homegroup only works with homegroup, not with the rest of the world. You don't have to use Homegroup in Win 7 and 8, even though they keep pushing it.

I also have one win 7 machine and one win 8.1 machine. The 8.1 has a free upgrade to Win X (ten), they decide when it will be downloaded, but you decide when to install it. I talked with someone in a group that is beta testing Win X, and he complains that the ones running WinX are always late for meetings since the have to reboot to get their meeting data our of their computers. Sounds like I am going to wait a while to install X

I am not real good at the networking thing at all. Trying to get win 7 and 8.1 and XP to play well together is more than I am capable of.

Getting homegroup to play well with homegroup to me is simplicity - the main issue is that XP does not work with home group.

I do have XP and homegroup to be functional enough so that I can manage to send CNC programs and manage the CNC folder from my desk.

I had wni98se way longer than most people did - same with XP.

I like Win 7 and I don't mind Win 8.1

The one and only reason I have a powerful computer on my desk is for the CAD and CAM - and it helps with video editing.

The reason I ask about Win 10 - is because the upgrade is free. If I had to pay $10 for it, or $50 or $100 - I would NOT be asking the question. I am FAR too Yankee cheap for that.

Saw something the other day that the home version only has a choice for automatic updates, with manual or automatic restart. No option to do manual updates. Probably not a bad option for most users, but I like to let other report problems with updates and installing manually when patches for those problems are released.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What can I tell you? It is coming. Until we see the final license, I still have questions about the "free upgrade" model, as there is still debate about versions and Windows as a service, etc.
Is there a pro verses home model and is there a 365 model where you have to pay for it yearly? What one is the company giving away or does it depend on the version your running (pro gets pro, etc). Is it you get the base product, but then you have to pay for x features or have a subscription to security updates?
Have you looked at the site for your cnc software? When do they say it will be ready for 10 (no reason to upgrade if it causes issues, tend to wait a while).
I bought one computer with 8.1 on it, for gaming with family. I dislike Windows enough, and don't enjoy gaming as much as I once did, that it rarely gets turned on and I keep thinking about converting it to a dual boot system, so at least the hardware doesn't go to waste.

What can I tell you? It is coming. Until we see the final license, I still have questions about the "free upgrade" model, as there is still debate about versions and Windows as a service, etc.
Is there a pro verses home model and is there a 365 model where you have to pay for it yearly? What one is the company giving away or does it depend on the version your running (pro gets pro, etc). Is it you get the base product, but then you have to pay for x features or have a subscription to security updates?
Have you looked at the site for your cnc software? When do they say it will be ready for 10 (no reason to upgrade if it causes issues, tend to wait a while).
I bought one computer with 8.1 on it, for gaming with family. I dislike Windows enough, and don't enjoy gaming as much as I once did, that it rarely gets turned on and I keep thinking about converting it to a dual boot system, so at least the hardware doesn't go to waste.

My Vectric Aspire will run on Win 10 - that has already been tested.

My CNC machine will stay on XP - or upgrade to win 7 when I upgrade my desktop (this is just how I rotate my machines). That is years away.

I am not going to do the actual upgrade unless I see someone posting how that really like the win 10. I would only do it cause - it's free and eventually we will all be on 10 anyway.

I think this is Microsoft's way to get a better market share of the mobile device market. Desktops are out for the most part, which is my biggest concern, as I am a desktop user.

I updated my laptop last night, it was running windows 8.1 home version, now is running windows 10 Home version.

However I saw the offer to update to the Pro version for $99, so went with it. It's failed about 5 times in a row, nothing on the error in the windows forum or googling for it. I finally realized that the first prompt asking to run had the product key in it, which I wrote down. Then I downloaded the pro install and am in the process of installing it now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The update completed and I'm now on the pro version. Haven't seen a huge performance increase, but I've got a lot of things I need to clean upon my laptop. I have noticed a difference in the flow of old/new windows technology over windows 8, the settings and metro stuff seem to mesh a little better now. I'm mostly happy they brought back the task bar. They've also windowized the metro apps so those show on the task bar rather than feeling like it has two separate systems running at the same time.

It is my understanding that if you had a pro version the new win10 will also be pro version.

My notebook is win 7 pro.

My shop computer is win7 home and in process of the win 10 home update.

Diane's computer is also win 7 home and downloading win 10

My desktop is win 8.1 and I will wait to install until after I see win 10.

I might do the download tonight when I go to bed - but I will wait on the install.

So far I have heard there is some issue with Vectric Tutorial videos not working.

I will test everything on my shop computer before I do my desktop computer.

Well,

My shop computer is on Win 10 as I type this - still firefox - looks OK so far.

As soon as Win 10 started I was on my desktop - Sahweeeetttt!!!!!

Looks a little different.

OHHH -- no longer to you go to START - to STOP the computer. Now it's POWER. - kewl

The rest looks ok for now - I will play around tomorrow.

edit in:

Dianes computer is up on win 10 also.

My shop computer took from 4:30 to 8:30 - but it's on a real slow wireless connection.

Dianes Computer took about 1-2 hours.

Interesting thing to take note of.

My shop computer asked if I want to install now or wait.

Dianes computer went directly into the upgrade without asking.

Either way - I think we will be OK on win 10

and yes there is an issue watching some of the older Vectric tutorials. Maybe a different media player is all that is needed. I will look into that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, I've completed the upgrade of my wife's laptop to 10 and just notice that I'm still running the Start 8 menu (third party start button). I turned it off on my laptop and tried out the new windows start button and though it works, it's just different and would takes some getting used to. I tried to restart the Start 8 menu and it wouldn't start or upgrade, I did purchase the Start 10 menu and it's got things looking like the older versions of windows again, Run command line and all, but was another $4.99...which I'm ok with.

I've just upgraded my PC to Windows 10, and apart from minor appearance changes I haven't seen much of it. I hope that they fixed the so many user unfriendly things that they had on 8.

I have been on win 8.1 for over a year. Honestly - I didn't see a whole lot that I disliked or liked. The background win 8 stuff came on from time to time, but I got used to it.

In Win 10 - it looks a tiny bit different, but still, so far, nothing to thrill me.

I could still be happy with win98se, but there were a few minor issues that I had a little trouble with - mostly networking between computers.

To me - only reason to upgrade to win 10 - FREE - plus it gets all my computers on the same win level. If I had to pay for it - it would not be happening.

Chuck, just to clarify for the other folks, you either have Windows XP or you have Windows 2000. There is no XP2000. ;)

Told you I wasn't a computer person... I think I went from Windows 2000 to XP Professional when I crashed and re-stored the OS... I'm a pretty decent operator as long as the computer does what I want, otherwise, I call on my kid.

How compatible is Windows 10 with your existing (specifically Windows 7) apps? I'm hesitant to upgrade to 10 unless I know my apps and peripherals will work.

We get to try all sorts of odd ball stuff at work since we have to attempt to simulate what any of the 28,000 people on campus may wander into work with. We took 3 different Windows 7 Pro platforms; 1 Dell laptop, 1 Asus laptop and 1 HP desktop, that claimed they were OK to upgrade. All 3 went basically OK. The Asus had a small issue with a bluetooth driver that a "normal" Windows Update fixed. The HP seems to have a video issue but, in all fairness the last ship date for the motherboard in that desktop was 2005. The newer Dell laptop / docking station did fine if upgraded while undocked. Seems the extra peripheral and dual DVI video ports on the docking station was confusing. Once updated and re-docked, operation was normal. None of these machines run anything unusual like specialized network tools or security pounding applications. If they last a week or so without imploding I may go ahead and upgrade a few of my systems. I'll report back only if it gets interesting.