Windows 10

Diane's computer and my shop computer are on windows 10. I even have the vectric Aspire 4 videos working. So far it all looks just fine.

Firefox works fine.

Homegroup network works fine.

I am going to mess around a little more tomorrow on the shop computer, but I am feeling pretty good right now about windows 10.

I am pretty confident I will upgrade my desktop - and I am positive the notebook is going to be upgraded.

How compatible is Windows 10 with your existing (specifically Windows 7) apps? I'm hesitant to upgrade to 10 unless I know my apps and peripherals will work.

I've only updated my laptop which was 8.1, same with my wife's, but all of my software has ran fine. I may try to do the shop computer by the end of the week, it has some Tascam drivers and music software. I'd suggest checking with the software's support and see what they say about about it if it's something specific or something you think may have issues with drivers.

How compatible is Windows 10 with your existing (specifically Windows 7) apps? I'm hesitant to upgrade to 10 unless I know my apps and peripherals will work.

I just tested a bunch of stuff on my shop computer.

Draftsight
Old version of Vectric Photocarve
2009 version of parsons quickverse
2010 version of microsoft office
corel painter essentials 4
Corel PHOTO - Paint x6
adobe photoshop
autodesk sketchbook
quicken 2013
Punch ViaCad v7
Vectric Aspire V8
spreadsheets I have on my desktop
firefox
Homegroup network
Aspire V4 tutorial videos - older versions

I had Windows 7 home edition on the computer before the upgrade.

I did not need to reinstall anything.

The upgrade went seemlessly - very easy, and I am really not a big computer person.

I am certainly going to go ahead and upgrade my main desktop computer.

Ran into a little snag.

Control panel no longer exists - at least not in it's original familiar state.

I needed to do some adjusting on Dianes epson printer and getting to the epson printer software was a bit combersome.

I did get there and I did, do what I needed to do.

Leo,

I too am pretty happy with Win 10 but like you the control panel leaves me longing for the old one. I found this at PC World http://www.pcworld.com/article/2881613/unlock-windows-10s-hidden-powerful-godmode-tool.html

Check it out. It seems to bring together all the settings available in one spot. I have it set up on my laptop but other than looking at the window briefly when double clicking the desktop "Godmode" icon I haven't tested anything on it.

Jack

Jack

I am SERIOUSLY - put out by the term GODmode.

I seriously hope they realize their wrongdoing to the christian community in this and remove the terminology.

I am shocked that it even got in there

I will register a complaint to microsoft about that.

Shame on Microsoft. - Shame.

Anyway - Funny but in the start menu - I see a box that says "Getting started with Windows 8 on your new Dell" - I just think that is funny.

I seriously hope they realize their wrongdoing to the christian community in this and remove the terminology.

Anyway - Funny but in the start menu - I see a box that says "Getting started with Windows 8 on your new Dell" - I just think that is funny.

I don't think GodMode was a term put out by Microsoft, it's a term used by bloggers, it's official name is Windows Master Control Panel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Master_Control_Panel_shortcut

As with service packs, etc. I would tell people, generally to hold off and see if any bugs are found. Several have been as well as other dislikes on 10.
That said, my father updated, their Windows h8.1 machine that he bought to replace mom's old machine, after the old machine died. The new machine was hacked, two weeks after putting it up and we have no idea, but we expect my mom did something that gave them control. So because of that, I will pass this along here, if anyone is semi computer literate and thinks they are going to get an email, about upgrading:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_download_ransomware/

I still use Linux, so unless MS decides to make Windows, an X Windows desktop as I, Cringely wrote about in 2003, I'll just laugh if I get those emails.

I have installed in 3 of my 4 computers - not counting my win-xp machine running my CNC machine, that does connect to the internet.

I suppose the warnings about having XP freely on the internet - and connected to my network would be viewed as a real bad risk.

Diane often has issues that are pretty easy to clean - because she still clicks on adware ans stuff. She doesn't recognize some of the key red flags.

EVERY - release of windows generates a flurry of negativity.

Even those that run other operating systems will warn of the bad invasive nature of just about everything.

Truly - the ONLY way to be protected is NO computer connectivity to the internet - don't use credit cards, or debit cards and don't use banks, or cell phones - or your social security number, or GPS and I suppose a host of other stuff.

YES - there is risk - there always will be.

I have a rich Nigerian uncle that recently passed away and left me with 100 zillion us dollars too.

As soon as my notebook is ready - I will upgrade to 10. Win 7 and 8.1 will be obsolete before you know it - just like win98se.

I am sure all the warnings have at least "some" truth to it.

I will let you know if I get hacked, or if the FBI, or homeland security, comes knocking on my door

! JUST SAYIN !

Not sure what wrongdoing?

They called it godmode, not Jehovah or Yahweh, Thor, Apollo, Zeus, Kali, etc. If you read the article, you can change the name to whatever omnipotent being or generic term for one (or any imaginary friend), you wish.

For windows 10, when you do the install, don't do the express install, do a custom install. The first couple of pages are about privacy or things that can be considered privacy control. I turned them all off, be sure to scroll and make sure you've checked them all. ;)

There is always linux, but even with it, it's getting more and more commercialized and capitalized on. If you really want privacy, stay off the computer and internet, don't answer your phone, don't even have a phone, turn off the tv, don't even have a tv, don't speak, and lastly don't even know how to speak. ;)

For windows 10, when you do the install, don't do the express install, do a custom install. The first couple of pages are about privacy or things that can be considered privacy control. I turned them all off, be sure to scroll and make sure you've checked them all. ;)

There is always linux, but even with it, it's getting more and more commercialized and capitalized on. If you really want privacy, stay off the computer and internet, don't answer your phone, don't even have a phone, turn off the tv, don't even have a tv, don't speak, and lastly don't even know how to speak. ;)

Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt. :D

Yes interesting and thanks. I was scheduled to automatically get window's 10 but after reading a few things on this forum I cancelled. Not that I was scared of it but I want to know more about it.
Paul, how did you cancel ? I have tried by right clicking the check update status but get no option to cancel. ( Like the direction say I should )

Scott, sorry I cannot remember the sequence, but I cancelled prior to the date it was suppose to automatically upgrade. I clicked on the Windows icon in the tool tray and just started reading everything and somewhere there was an option to cancel.

Thanks Paul, That is what I did but the option to cancel just never showed itself like the instructions said it would. Their screen shot is identical to what I get only mine is missing the option.