Windows 10

Scott, were you trying to do things like security updates to some earlier version when it tried to upgrade?
Wondering how the machines we don't want upgraded are going to be treated?

Scott, were you trying to do things like security updates to some earlier version when it tried to upgrade?
Wondering how the machines we don't want upgraded are going to be treated?
It all started with a regular win update for 7. It was a critical update mixed in with other critical updates. It was changed to an optional update a day or so later but to late for me, I had already updated.

I use Firefox.

So far I have not had any issues.

I have not had any issues with anything.

Windows 10 install is history to me.

Diane's COMPUTER, as well as my shop computer and my desktop and my notebook are all on windows 10.

Everything installed with express settings.

Wham - Bam - Done!

I have nothing to be sorry about

I noticed that for some reason it has duplicated either the short cuts to my existing programs or just copied them again and is displaying them next to the original ones as "new".
I wonder why and what it did and what should I do.

I wish my upgrade to Windows 10 (or X) had gone as well....

It said I had to install a new version of Skype, which partially uninstalled the old one, and failed at installing the new one. The Microsoft link to fix the error I was getting listed all the operating systems it worked on, but excluded Windows X

My scanner that had worked fine on Windows 8.1, 7, and XP, would not work on Win X, even after downloading and installing the Win X drivers.

The Restore button (between minimize and close) at the top right of each window didn't work. It decides where and what size each window would be, often maximized, even if I don't want that.

And numerous other small glitches

After two days of trying to make it work, I went back to Windows 8.1 So far the only thing I have had to reinstall is Skype, which now works fine.

I wish my upgrade to Windows 10 (or X) had gone as well....

It said I had to install a new version of Skype, which partially uninstalled the old one, and failed at installing the new one. The Microsoft link to fix the error I was getting listed all the operating systems it worked on, but excluded Windows X

My scanner that had worked fine on Windows 8.1, 7, and XP, would not work on Win X, even after downloading and installing the Win X drivers.

The Restore button (between minimize and close) at the top right of each window didn't work. It decides where and what size each window would be, often maximized, even if I don't want that.

And numerous other small glitches

After two days of trying to make it work, I went back to Windows 8.1 So far the only thing I have had to reinstall is Skype, which now works fine.

Charlie, Just curious what AV program you're running. I use Avast and had several similar problems until I finally saw a post about disabling it during (trusted) installs, windows defender should still protect you to some extent if they are third party softwares.

I did the Windows 10 update on my laptop two weeks ago to give it a try. Fugeddaboudit!!! After struggling with its sluggishness for a couple of days, I reverted to Win7. And, when I say sluggish, I mean major slowdown - having to wait forever for anything to happen. Life's too short.....

Here's the system on which I installed Win10:
Toshiba Satellite C655D
AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor
3GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series

At this point, I'm not sure I want to try Win10 on any of our other computers.

Win 10 on the notebook
Win 10 on the my shop computer
Win 10 on the my desktop
Win 10 on the Diane's Computer

So far everything is - as it should be.

I have not noticed any issues.

Have not noticed anything brag worthy either.

BUT - I don't look for issues either - and I just "use" computers.

I never check download speeds or upload speeds or anything of the sort.

As a matter of fact it seems as though they book a little faster - even the thinkpad notebook.
But - that is just my opinion - I have not actually measured anything.
For all I know - the computers could be running slower and I just don't realize it.

I don't really like to play with computers.

If it was not free - I would not have missed anything.

Then again - I may have been the last to give up the ghost on win98se. If XP was a free upgrade I would have upgraded.

Honestly, no need to update if you're happy. I did so to keep under the upgrade support until 2020, but will probably replace most of the hardware long before then.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Charlie, Just curious what AV program you're running. I use Avast and had several similar problems until I finally saw a post about disabling it during (trusted) installs, windows defender should still protect you to some extent if they are third party softwares.

I use VLC media player, not because it was selected as wonderful, but because it worked a year or three ago when I needed something "now."

Yep. I did all of that before starting the update. Maybe that's why it ran so slow - MS penalizes you if you don't let them get your information?

Actually, I liked what I saw with the user interface and organization, but couldn't deal with the slowness of moving between applications. Internet speed didn't appear to be affected. I stayed with Firefox; never tried Edge.