need some refinishing help

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Hoping Dave and Jim D. pitch in here.

The chancel furniture here at church is about 50 years old. The finish, especially on the altar need redone. Looks like some water damage and a delaminating of the finish. Plan is to scrape it all off. Recolor to match communion rail. The baptismal font likewise will need scraping and recoloring. Don't plan to scrape the communion rail. Doesn't need it.

OK so far.

I am fairly handy with spaying lacquer though I have never used the water based stuff. Now I am back in California and no NC lacquer allowed.

Had planned to thoroughly wash and rinse all the surfaces to be sprayed. Want to spray all the surfaces including the communion rail to get the same sheen off of everything.

Can I spray water based lacquer over any other cured finish? Any particular coloring agent best under water based lacquer? Jim, would you please provide your finishing protocol with water based lacquer, including part numbers and and sources?

I have a week to get this done, beginning August 3. I do have help with the washing and rinsing and the scraping. And the coloring of the two tops. Spraying, however, is all on me. I have an Apollo HVLP unit with which I am quite familiar and have used to good effect over the years.

Please help me get ready for this task. Also, I need time to acquire whatever I need beforehand. Thanks.

Carol,
The waterbornes will adhere to any properly prepped surface. You'll need to scuff the existing finish to provide some tooth, and of course, ensure it's completely free of grease, oil, or other contaminates.

Since this will be a fairly high wear environment, I'd suggest using Target's EM-8000cv conversion varnish, with the added cross-linker, instead of the EM-6000 lacquer, or the EM-7000 High Build lacquer. The 8000cv will yield a harder, more durable finish overall.

As for tinting, Transtint dyes work great. You can either use them in the (EM-1000) sanding sealer, or in the finish itself. I'd' likely use the dye in the finish, and build light coats until you achieve the color you want, then put a couple more coats of untinted finish over that.