Works Good, Lasts Long Time - Updated

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
I haven't seen the weekend bench shots this week and this "Slow" old man has had quite a good week. :thumb:

I had two old sheets of 3/4" plywood, crap on both sides, saved for "something, someday." :rofl:

I used the Festool TS 55 EQ and the rail system for cutting out my shelves. The fit was so tight I had to use a hammer and block of wood to tap them in. :thumb:

Page 8 and 9 show the shelf cleats and then the fitted shelves. I'm ready for a "bunch" of sanding (With the RO 125) and the top. I'll probably use poly on it later. I want this thing out of the way for a while so I can get the new cabinets in there and start working on them. :thumb:

http://dontee.sistmllc.com/cornercounter/index7.html

If it were not for the Festool setup, I simply would not have been able to work with these full sheets of plywood.

image189.jpg

image176.jpg

image191.jpg

image197.jpg

image198.jpg

Sorry to keep re-posting such a simple project but it's rather exciting to me to keep finding ways to make it more or less effortless. Where there is a will there is a way.

DT

Last edited:
I concur. It may be a small project compared to some, but its big to You. That is very important because that was why this forum was created. To let everyone feel welcomed and appreciated. By the way I was kind of impressed with you shelves, it lloked like a comfortable place to do some work.

It's still looking good, Don. What amazes me is that you have found some "Dimensional Lumber" that stays straight and doesn't look like a hunter's Bow the day after you get it home. We sure don't get any like that out here anymore.:( DAMHIKT What kind of top are you going to put on it?

Keep 'em coming. You're making great progress. Believe me, I have quite a few pics I'll be posting soon of my painfully slow build of a very simple workbench. Granted I've been working two other projects at the same time but if I would just finish the bench and clear the floor space the other two would go much faster. Looking good.

It's still looking good, Don. What amazes me is that you have found some "Dimensional Lumber" that stays straight and doesn't look like a hunter's Bow the day after you get it home. We sure don't get any like that out here anymore.:( DAMHIKT What kind of top are you going to put on it?

Hi Norman,
I set the top on it tonight. I think I am going to rip the laminate off and put a lip on it. I'll need that to hang a small vise or two. :thumb:
I'll put a raised border around it and use Masonite for the top.

image209.jpg

image208.jpg

image207.jpg

image206.jpg

This is an old kitchen counter top someone threw out. I extended it with the sink portion of the counter and built the base on top of it. :rofl: It has to fit!

DT

That's going to work out great, Don. I like the inset section so you can sit at the bench. They look good and stout, too. :thumb:

That is going to work real nice. If you can find it, I would suggest using "Tempered, Smooth both sides" Masonite/hardboard, and then if it gets worn/damaged over time, you can just flip it over and have a new top. The raised lip should hold it in place, but if necessary you can place a small countersunk Brass screw close to the corners of each piece to keep it down solid on the base material instead of gluing it down, and you probably wouldn't have to remove the laminate, except on the edges where you will add the lip. (The Tempered Hardboard will hold up much better than the Regular Hardboard too).

"Utility shelves don't need to be pretty, good use of that on hand b-c plywood!"

Try telling that to the man I play 'shop' with . . . he's mad because he found a sanding 'scratch' on a workshop cabinet he's making for me. I still love him though . . . but I'm a 'Git 'r dun' type person and I'm ready to move tools into that cabinet.

Vaughn
That's going to work out great, Don. I like the inset section so you can sit at the bench. They look good and stout, too. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn,
Those 2X4's Norman asks about are the $2 variety from HD. They are very light and very soft as far as getting hit by a hammer on the edge etc. I'll use a more dense wood for the trim around the table. Maybe some of that scrap oak I have out there.
This table would support a bullet nose Studebaker :rofl: but it's still light enough that I could slide it off the saw horse setup and scoot it into the corner by myself. By using the DowelMax I used less than half the stock I would have used any other way that I could think of.
I got to looking at that desk area you mentioned, I thought, "My small legs just don't need that much room?" :huh: So I put some more shelves in there. I needed "One more” 2X4 long enough to make those shelves in the kick space. The one I had left was 6" short. So-o-o-o I grabbed my trusty DowelMax and a scrap of 2X4 stock and made me a long 2X4. :rofl: If you look very close in the picture you can see that the front board is patched. I figured I'd put that one on the ground, it can't possibly break there.

Norman
That is going to work real nice. If you can find it, I would suggest using "Tempered, Smooth both sides" Masonite/hardboard, and then if it gets worn/damaged over time, you can just flip it over and have a new top. The raised lip should hold it in place, but if necessary you can place a small countersunk Brass screw close to the corners of each piece to keep it down solid on the base material instead of gluing it down, and you probably wouldn't have to remove the laminate, except on the edges where you will add the lip. (The Tempered Hardboard will hold up much better than the Regular Hardboard too).

Thanks for the advice Norman,
I would really like to have 1/4 Masonite but I can't find any around here. I will look for the tempered.

:rofl: Hi Sandy
I certainly do want the shop to look nice but it IS a workshop. A ding here or there is to be expected.

Allen
What is wrong with the laminate that you want to get rid of it? Sure makes a durable top.

Hi there Allen,
The laminate is old and will have to come up and be re-glued. It's loose and flopping over more than half the surface. I haven't decided yet. I may use it. There are many ways to set up a vise without a lip.

For now I am going to use this thing as a flat surface to pile things on. I have two helpers coming today to get the cabinets into the shop. I want to rework them and get them hung. Then I'll get back to this.
When it is finished, you may well see the mini lathe, scroll saw and small drill press on it. I'm thinking about a lazy Susan affair in the corner for the small belt sander, grinder, drill doc etc., and a row of small parts drawers. I think I have about decided to hook up it's own sawdust eater using a dedicated Ridgid Shop Vac. No need to hook this small stuff up to the cyclone.

I'm open for ideas in this corner guys and gals. :dunno: Let's put it to work. :thumb:

Thank all of you so much for your support! :type:

DT

Don, I have two sheets of 1/4" Tempered hardboard smooth two sides that I ran across locally 2 1/2 yrs ago that I grabbed and stored to use when I get that far along. I bought it at the time, because our suppliers just don't stock the GOOD Stuff like thay used to. I do have one place that will order it for me though. I used to live in Sarasota, but can't place where Starke is, so I don't know what large towns you are close to, but you might check with any large cabinet shops in your area and ask where you might be able to get it. If there is a large plywood supplier anywhere close, I'll bet they either have it or can order some for you.