Spruce bowl from

MI. Yep Larry sent me this quite a while ago. Figured i better do some thing with it. My sisters son is getting married next month, and my Mom wanted me to make something for her to give to him. I told her i had started this and she liked it, so this will be sent her way this week. Not sure why the top dyed different than the bowl did as it's the same color.:huh: Looked a bit darker when it was in the house, but when i took it out side to take pics, i about had a heart attack.:doh: Don't have time to change it now, but did send Mom a pic and she said she still liked it just as is and don't change a thing. Well i guess it is what it is.:(019 (800x599).jpg022 (800x678).jpg023 (800x603).jpg024 (800x547).jpg

Spruce huh! How interesting.. I don't usually think of that as a turning wood, clearly I need to expand my horizons there as this is certainly a nice piece of work!

Thanks all. Ryan There's a reason folks don't use spruce burl, It's a pain in the butt. The only reason i even turned this spruce is that Larry sent it to me.

Yeah, I'm thinking of all of the spruce I've burnt in camp fires and how fun it was everytime a pitch pocket went off (snap, crackle, pop indeed). Had me thinking you'd want to keep a bucket of turpentine next to the lathe to keep the tools clean!!

It's a very nice piece. I thought spruce was an odd choice for turning, but I've been using pine, so what do I know? About the colour difference, I made two candles ticks from the same piece of purpleheart, and one tunred out a bit brown, the other was definitely purple. Both got the same treatment.