Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to give an old mirror life again, saved it from the garbage truck, I hope

trying to give an old mirror life again, saved it from the garbage truck, I hope

hope to save this old mirror. It was hanging on my knee wall in the attic for 25 years, took it down 2 years ago and its been sitting behind my buffet unit, just waiting for me to toss it, but I forgot about it.
    so I decided to get some ply, build a frame, and tile the frame, then put a cherry hardwood border around outside and inside.
    I figured someone in my family could use a huge 3x4 foot mirror, larger with the tile and wood frame.(36x54)
    who knows.
    I don't own a tile saw, so I had to buy tiles that not only were inexpensive, but exactly square then figure out without cutting tiles, get it to exact size with only cutting the mesh back. Heres where I am so far. Will hopefully get some grout on tomorrow.

thought Id get to it all today, but I had to go pick up my sons flooring and then deliver it to him so he didn't have to pay for shipping.
    and ofcourse, while at his house, I got a huge project drawn up for a September start.
    And on the way home, from his house, my lovely wife had me running all over the place, michaels, joanns, looking for a light box for tracing designs on fabric.(the woman has officially become addicted to quilting)
    cheapest one we found was 109 dollars. What! she wanted something today to start working with, and it was too hot to work out there at 4 pm.
    For just one project now?when I got home, went behind my shed, I had a whole bunch of glass shelving from my old store, something else I salvaged for future projects which I never got too. (sititng outside for 5 years)this is a temp build, eventually I will purchase a better light and make a nice box for her.
    Took some pieces of ply, most of it extra leftover cut offs, and in 15 minutes, I came up with a box with a light, and she says it works perfectly. Saved 120 dollars with 15 minutes of work.
    I guess I was thinking outside the box, or maybe inside the box, or just about the box?

not sure how much further I will get on the mirror in the near future, my son has to redo laminate flooring the entire basement, and do some wall repairs, moldings, all of which I will assist him.
    He keeps me busy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mirror 001.jpg   mirror 005.jpg   mirror 006.jpg   mirror 008.jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-26-2015 at 09:29 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    allen,
    home depot has several compact florecent fixture you might consider. they are very inexpensive and would cut down on shadows and provide better light than you shop light. here is an example. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Slim-L...stomer_reviews
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

yes, thanx don, Ive made 2 makeup vanities using those HD compact lights, but this was a last second just something for her to use today.
    when I make a permanent version, I will use fluorescent lighting and make the box a bit less bulky and more shallow.
    this was not planned, drawn, nada, just a brad gun, some scrap plywood and an old piece of glass shelving. A one day disposable use kind of thing.
    Human Test Dummy

Two great projects. That mirror will be really nice and the light box is getting the job done. Another quilting addict, huh

The mirror frame is looking good, Allen. I like the tile you chose.

I made a light box for my sister many, many years ago. She is now retired, but she used that box for years in her work as a draftsperson and photographer. I'm sure you'll come up with a great one for your wife. :thimb:
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

after grouting, I had uneven edges, corners, so I decided to fit each outside and inside corner individually.
    fit one piece, use a piece of plywood cut down to same size as cherry frame and fit the next side, and so on and so on.
    Inside corners were cut same way.
    Nothing was cut more than 1/2 or 3/4 of a degree either side of 45 degrees.
    To cover any uneven gaps from tile/grout, I cut the cherry framing with a small rabbet so 1/4 inch covered the top to hide anything.
    Mitres are and have always been my nightmares if I have to fit it to something.
    Making a frame, no problem, framing something, seems my word is never exactly square, even when I check every step of the way....whatever.

Since mitres weren't 100% perfect, (I believe close enough no one would notice), I added some black coloring to a small amount of cherry stain that I used to stain the cherry, and touched up any spots where cuts were made to make them less noticeable. (The cherry frame was stained and polyed before I installed it)
    I remember when my kitchen guy cut the prefinished moldings for my kitchen, if any mitre or cut was off even a tiny amount, raw wood would show, so the cabinet company included a tube of stain that was a bit darker to touch up areas and make them unnoticeable, that's where I got the idea.

the pics here are before I painted the stain onto the mitred inside and outside corners.
    And I have not done a final sanding of the second coat of poly, made wiping off excess stain easier or so I figured.
    the pieces is 57 inches by 37 inches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 84mirror 002.jpg   84mirror 003.jpg   84mirror 004.jpg   84mirror 005.jpg   84mirror 007.jpg  

84mirror 010.jpg   84mirror 011.jpg   84mirror 012.jpg   84mirror 015.jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

Nice job Allen Miters look fine from here
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

so far so good allen!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

That looks great Allen!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Looking good, Allen. The reflections in that mirror do show your shop to be way too clean, though!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!