Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatigue and Woodworking

Fatigue and Woodworking

I've had a real busy weekend. I tore down an old shed in preparation for a new addition that is being built onto my house. I also knocked off all the siding on the rear of the house, got the foot high windrow of gravel the snowplow plowed onto my lawn cleaned up, and even graded the driveway and got my rock walls mended after the frost heaved them in sections. That was just Friday. On Saturday I installed a new front door.

So today I planned to finish up the door by putting the trim on the inside. Things did not go so well. I kept screwing up the cuts, making mistake after mistake. This is bigger for me because I use rough sawn lumber, so a cut only occurs AFTER the boards are rough cut, ripped, jointed and planned. Thats a lot of work for a dumb mistake. Finally I left the shop, the door trim and did nothing for the rest of the afternoon. I even fell asleep for awhile while the infant was napping.

Does anyone know of some vitamins or something that will cure fatigue? I enjoyed the afternoon off, but I got a ton of stuff to do and just can't take the time off. I heard Bee Pollen pills staves off fatigue. Has anyone tried that?

Last edited by Travis Johnson; 04-30-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Don't have any advice to cure fatigue. I will say, however, that you did the right thing by leaving your projects for another time. Frustration and fatigue are two huge contributers to accidents in the shop. I'm probably safe in saying that you don't need to add a missing digit to your list of worries.

Fatigue and sharp things don't mix; you did the right thing. I even limit my coffee intake when I'm working in the shop. I want the tools to have my undivided attention. Mistakes made when tired are frustrating and costly at least and dangerous at most.

Take a break, Get some rest.
    Things only get worse when you're tired and try to force productivity.
    Live Like You Mean It!!

I would never trust anything but rest to cure fatigue.
    Cheers, Frank

I'm no doctor, but I'll bet that any decent doctor would say that best cure for fatigue is a balanced diet combined with proper amounts of exercise and rest. I guess a vitamin deficiency wouldn't help you any, but if this has been an ongoing thing then I'd say that a visit to the doctor is in order rather than guessing at a cure. It could be a symptom ...

just my $0.02
    Last edited by John Bartley; 04-30-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelling error

Sounds to me like that you did three days work in one day and deserve a rest. I know that this oservation does not help you timewise but you can only push yourself so hard. I wish that I had your energy.

I thought you were describing the entire weekend work, and I was in awe, until I hit the statement "and that was just Friday."

If you wonder why that left you tired, read it again.

Be glad that it was only lumber and not fingers that were cut wrong on Saturday. Best solution if you are tired enough to be making mistakes is to leave the shop. Do something simple like tear down a shed, take siding off the rear of the house, clean the gravel off the lawn, grade the driveway, and mend the stone wall. Things that don't involve sharp tools near fingers.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Spend some time with the infant, like taking a nap at the sametime. Little ones and productivity don't always mix. You won a battle on Friday. Save the energy for another one of those days and you will be just fine.

Since I had a kid things take longer and I'm tired more often, but I try to enjoy my family as there will always be projects waiting for me. One good day of work on the weekend and a few hours here and there during the work week is all a guy can expect if he has a family.

Yep, got to agree with the others, when you get tired, take a rest, or at least change what you are doing.

Jim, enjoy them little ones while you can, mine are 13 and 11 and they are less and less thrilled about the idea of a day out with the old man. A year ago, they'd jump at the chance

Oh well, gives me more time to wood work

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward