Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry it was a metal day in the shop today!

Sorry it was a metal day in the shop today!

Ted said some might be interested in seeing the lifesize metal targe elk project but my friend hasn't made it over to weld it up yet BUT today was a metal CNC day for me to rest up from learning VCarve and doing something a little more familiar!! I needed to cut one more panel to skirt the table so my fume exhaust system would work well and had some scrap 16 gauge on the table so I cut a couple welcome signs. Then I used muriatic acid and a flap disc to clean before using Steel F/X patinas to give them a little character. Then a couple coats of automotive clear. I'm excited to work metal into a wood project in the near future so this won't be so.... off topic.. I don't plan to keep the theme all western but these were quick, easy, and are usually a pretty easy sell in my area. My son helped me in the shop today and made (and patina/dyed) himself a piece for his room but I didn't get a picture of it. Sorry he's sideways but it's still pretty easy to see that I desparately need him to help me clean the shop one day SOON!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-07-26 17.23.32.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	91478

Name:	2015-07-26 17.21.21.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	91479

Name:	20150726_155035.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	91480

Very nice indeed. Well done! PM sent.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Wow!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Excellent!! Thanks, Robert. I bet some of our folks would enjoy a few pics of your metal CNC set up too

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Excellent!! Thanks, Robert. I bet some of our folks would enjoy a few pics of your metal CNC set up too
    Seconded.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks very much everyone! I think that mixing the metal with wood carving is going to turn out some neat pieces. I'm watching VCarve videos about inlay toolpaths and figuring out how I can use it to mill out an inlay and hopefully create toolpaths for the plasma that I can use to cut and that hopefully the two processes (and two parts of the CAM/Control program) will work together!! To get a little more concept of one idea that kind of embodies this, think a coffee table with an engraved top of mountain & meadow scene, then on top of that metal cut to accent the details of the mountains etc and metal cut wildlife in the forefront, all covered by glass so the table is functional. Just a thought concept at this point but seems that would be a fun place to head.

I'll post some pics of the shop and CNC soon. FIRST, did you SEE the sloppy state of the place!!??!! Downright embrassing and shameful!! We moved here 3 short months ago and I've been setting this all up and trying to keep the wife's stuff in the house and out of the shop while watching the 2-year old full time (wife is a midwife and works at a Dr office so I'm a stay at home dad), I feel like a salmon headed upstream!! This is the same machine that I've added routing to and have a plate engraver to set up too. I need to plumb air in the shop and get rid of the hoses and cords I've strung through the rafters.... ugh, the list is a mile long! I've got the gantry crane built for loading wood, metal, and hopefully soon , handling the clamping wood bed (that I've got to build) on and off the table. I've been looking at T-track and other clamping systems/mechanisms that I can use as holddown for the CNC router projects but my mind is going numb. Somewhere in there, I've got to clean, clean, clean!

Those are some fine looking sign. I really like the way you finish them.
    "We the People ......"

Im with Ted and Vaughn and I couldnt see much of a mess, ya want-a see mess come to my shop. I have been trying to get it set up for 3 years now and one of these days I am going to get the wide-belt sander off of the pallet it came on (yeah right )
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Here's my latest metal creation! I promise I'll be working with some wood very soon! I have some shellac, a few different oils, and wax but I'm gonna be bugging you guys with ideas for finishing I promise! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150806_192318.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	91679

Very nice, Robert. I'm amazed at the level of detail you can produce with your system.