Thread: Oopsies!

Oopsies!

I took my BIL outside, because he wanted to see me make a bowl. He was quite impressed with the speed with which I achieved this final result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6717.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	91484

This took less than 40 minutes to achieve.

I think you'll agree I had a nice shape and a consistent wall thickness. I had only to get rid of that ridge at the lip, and I could start sanding. The bowl came apart along grain lines, and not the result of a catch or anything else I could feel. I think the walls may have been too thin for pine. We both had a good laugh. He understands that feces happen, and enjoyed watching. I'm not sure where the rest of the bowl is.

I was going to give him the bowl when I finished. Maybe I still should.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Go ahead and give it to him, I watch the food network all the time and they're always making 'deconstructed' this or that. Well that's a mighty fine deconstructed pine bowl!!

I dunno, I personally quite like the lip on the rim...

I've had a few pieces deconstruct on me due to a flaw in the wood, less so as I've gotten slightly better at reading the wood and stopping more often to check for checks (and other flaws as well). Certainly possible to minimize the chances but they can definitely still happen!

Blowing up a bowl or three is a rite of passage. Also serves as a good reminder why we wear face shields.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Blowing up a bowl or three is a rite of passage. Also serves as a good reminder why we wear face shields.
    Yeppers!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Actually, this time none of the pieces hit me or my BIL. I found another piece later in the day. Shrapnel everywhere!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Most of the ones I've blown up didn't hit me, but there have been a few that hit my face shield so hard it rocked my head back.

Your bowl reminds me of this one I used to take to shows:

Name:	Half Price 800.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	91491

workingwoods.com

Vaughn didn't you have one go thru a window back in LA? Not sure why I think that happened...might have been someone else. I've found pieces of blown up bowls years after it happened.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Vaughn didn't you have one go thru a window back in LA? Not sure why I think that happened...might have been someone else. I've found pieces of blown up bowls years after it happened.
    That one wasn't a bowl. It was the circle on the inside of a donut chuck that I was cutting out of a piece of MDF. I didn't have the tailstock in place holding it, and when I cut through, it took off like a vertical Frisbee. (And as an aside, I've since learned MDF is not a real sound material for a donut chuck.)

Name:	Donut Chuck 2 800.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	91499

workingwoods.com

If you had a bowl roughed out fairly well and was getting ready to the finishing touches on it in about 40 minutes or so, I would say you are on the right track. I've had a few blow apart over time, and it is always an experience. I had an almost finished bodark bowl come apart while spinning at about 1000 rpm's and the next thing I remembered is I was on the floor and had already hit the kill switch! And, then I had to get a new light! Tore it to pieces! Yep. That's why we wear those face shields. My left forearm seems to always be the victim of blowouts. Just keep going. You are getting there.