Oopsies!

Roger Tulk

I took my BIL outside, because he wanted to see me make a bowl. He was quite impressed with the speed with which I achieved this final result:

DSCF6717.JPG

This took less than 40 minutes to achieve.

I think you'll agree I had a nice shape and a consistent wall thickness. I had only to get rid of that ridge at the lip, and I could start sanding. The bowl came apart along grain lines, and not the result of a catch or anything else I could feel. I think the walls may have been too thin for pine. We both had a good laugh. He understands that feces happen, and enjoyed watching. I'm not sure where the rest of the bowl is.

I was going to give him the bowl when I finished. Maybe I still should. :D

Go ahead and give it to him, I watch the food network all the time and they're always making 'deconstructed' this or that. Well that's a mighty fine deconstructed pine bowl!! :rofl:

I dunno, I personally quite like the lip on the rim... :D

I've had a few pieces deconstruct on me due to a flaw in the wood, less so as I've gotten slightly better at reading the wood and stopping more often to check for checks (and other flaws as well). Certainly possible to minimize the chances but they can definitely still happen!

Most of the ones I've blown up didn't hit me, but there have been a few that hit my face shield so hard it rocked my head back.

Your bowl reminds me of this one I used to take to shows:

Half Price 800.jpg

Vaughn didn't you have one go thru a window back in LA? Not sure why I think that happened...might have been someone else. :huh: I've found pieces of blown up bowls years after it happened.

Vaughn didn't you have one go thru a window back in LA? Not sure why I think that happened...might have been someone else. :huh: I've found pieces of blown up bowls years after it happened.

That one wasn't a bowl. It was the circle on the inside of a donut chuck that I was cutting out of a piece of MDF. I didn't have the tailstock in place holding it, and when I cut through, it took off like a vertical Frisbee. :D (And as an aside, I've since learned MDF is not a real sound material for a donut chuck.)

Donut Chuck 2 800.jpg

If you had a bowl roughed out fairly well and was getting ready to the finishing touches on it in about 40 minutes or so, I would say you are on the right track. I've had a few blow apart over time, and it is always an experience. I had an almost finished bodark bowl come apart while spinning at about 1000 rpm's and the next thing I remembered is I was on the floor and had already hit the kill switch! And, then I had to get a new light! Tore it to pieces! Yep. That's why we wear those face shields. My left forearm seems to always be the victim of blowouts. Just keep going. You are getting there.