Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage

Sausage

Ohhh - this is something I just NEED to try.

His channel is a bit different. One video he butchers a half pig into all sorts of really delicious stuff.

If you have questions, I am a licensed charcutier. How I got that license is a VERY long story, but I may be able to answer questions. The big thing in my training was keeping the meat cold while you are working with it, so prevent germs, and how to tie a knot in the sausage casing that won't come loose while it is smoking (although I prefer fresh sausage)
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Those look delicious. Gotta try and make some.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    If you have questions, I am a licensed charcutier. How I got that license is a VERY long story, but I may be able to answer questions. The big thing in my training was keeping the meat cold while you are working with it, so prevent germs, and how to tie a knot in the sausage casing that won't come loose while it is smoking (although I prefer fresh sausage)
    And there are a bunch of amatuers on here as well . Keeping the meat cold also helps keep the fat from smearing which improves the texture on some types of sausage (unless you're doing emulsified sausage then not as much). I'd like to hear more about the knot though, I usually just do a half knot on the ends and do the twist left then twist right in the middle to form the links, but am sure there are bits I'm missing (actually the hard part send to be to get the packing right so it's not too tight and not to slack).

The easiest beginner book I have is the Ruhlman book http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr.../dp/0393058298 I have some more complete and complex books but that one was a great start and put it all in terms I could understand and follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    And there are a bunch of amatuers on here as well . Keeping the meat cold also helps keep the fat from smearing which improves the texture on some types of sausage (unless you're doing emulsified sausage then not as much). I'd like to hear more about the knot though, I usually just do a half knot on the ends and do the twist left then twist right in the middle to form the links, but am sure there are bits I'm missing (actually the hard part send to be to get the packing right so it's not too tight and not to slack).

The easiest beginner book I have is the Ruhlman book http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Cr.../dp/0393058298 I have some more complete and complex books but that one was a great start and put it all in terms I could understand and follow.
    I'm with Ryan, I want to know more about the knot/twisting. So far on my sausages (with natural casings) it's hit or miss on the whole twist thing. Some stay, some come undone.

Also, any tips for working with sheep casings would be greatly appreciated.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Had a real bad experience with hog casings once and it really put me off from stuffing so patties are my primary form. But if I can find some good casings...who knows!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I'll make it from time to time without casings, mix up the ingredients, then put the amount for each link or "loaf" in a piece of saran wrap, grab the ends and twirl it around a few times to compress the ends and smooth out the texture, then roll it out of the saran wrap on to a pan/grid.

I've seen them done this way too, where they boil in the saran wrap for a few minutes and finish cooking or freeze... http://askabutcher.proboards.com/thr...inless-sausage
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

I'm going to put the virtues of boerewors into the discussion. It's now one of my new favourite things, introduced to us just tonight by some special friends
    Last edited by Peter Rideout; 07-29-2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Rideout View Post
    I'm going to put the virtues of boerewors into the discussion. It's now one of my new favourite things, introduced to us just tonight by some special friends
    Nice Stealth shot! Enjoy the visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Nice Stealth shot! Enjoy the visit!

Thanks Ryan. We had a great time!