Sausage

If you have questions, I am a licensed charcutier. How I got that license is a VERY long story, but I may be able to answer questions. The big thing in my training was keeping the meat cold while you are working with it, so prevent germs, and how to tie a knot in the sausage casing that won't come loose while it is smoking (although I prefer fresh sausage)

If you have questions, I am a licensed charcutier. How I got that license is a VERY long story, but I may be able to answer questions. The big thing in my training was keeping the meat cold while you are working with it, so prevent germs, and how to tie a knot in the sausage casing that won't come loose while it is smoking (although I prefer fresh sausage)

And there are a bunch of amatuers on here as well :D. Keeping the meat cold also helps keep the fat from smearing which improves the texture on some types of sausage (unless you're doing emulsified sausage then not as much). I'd like to hear more about the knot though, I usually just do a half knot on the ends and do the twist left then twist right in the middle to form the links, but am sure there are bits I'm missing (actually the hard part send to be to get the packing right so it's not too tight and not to slack).

The easiest beginner book I have is the Ruhlman book http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298 I have some more complete and complex books but that one was a great start and put it all in terms I could understand and follow.

And there are a bunch of amatuers on here as well :D. Keeping the meat cold also helps keep the fat from smearing which improves the texture on some types of sausage (unless you're doing emulsified sausage then not as much). I'd like to hear more about the knot though, I usually just do a half knot on the ends and do the twist left then twist right in the middle to form the links, but am sure there are bits I'm missing (actually the hard part send to be to get the packing right so it's not too tight and not to slack).

The easiest beginner book I have is the Ruhlman book http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298 I have some more complete and complex books but that one was a great start and put it all in terms I could understand and follow.

I'm with Ryan, I want to know more about the knot/twisting. So far on my sausages (with natural casings) it's hit or miss on the whole twist thing. Some stay, some come undone.

Also, any tips for working with sheep casings would be greatly appreciated.

Had a real bad experience with hog casings once and it really put me off from stuffing so patties are my primary form. But if I can find some good casings...who knows!

I'll make it from time to time without casings, mix up the ingredients, then put the amount for each link or "loaf" in a piece of saran wrap, grab the ends and twirl it around a few times to compress the ends and smooth out the texture, then roll it out of the saran wrap on to a pan/grid.

I've seen them done this way too, where they boil in the saran wrap for a few minutes and finish cooking or freeze... http://askabutcher.proboards.com/thread/386/askabutchers-skinless-sausage

Hmm, I did some vegan sausage a few years back so the non meat eaters at a beer and sausage party could have something (grains and pulses) and wrapped them in tinfoil and steamed them before unwrapping and grilling. Hadn't considered doing something similar for meat sausages (and I'm less compelled now that we have the big 10lb stuffer) but its certainly an interesting idea for some types..