Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tormek sharpening system

Tormek sharpening system

Hi guys.

I think I've asked this before, but I would like that to hear your opinions about it if you have/use it.

Is it worth the investment? Have you upgraded it with a different grinding wheel grit or whatsoever, what was the result?

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I've had my Tormek for about fifteen years. It's on its third stone.

It's at its best doing straight chisels and plane blades. There's a jig/holder that makes sharpening them quite easy.

There are also jigs for things like knives, axes, scissors, and plane gouges. They also work well, but are seldom used by me. I've found that I can 'freehand' sharpen most knives, hatchets, etc. quite easily. Lightly curved gouges - like #3 ~ #7 sweep - I can also easily sharpen freehand. The simple little 'table' accessory does help with supporting gouges with tighter sweeps, or irregularly shaped knives and gouges.

As for honing, The regular leather wheel works great for straight or lightly curved edges. For more highly curved or intricate edges, you'll need the smaller, shaped leather wheels. I use the sharpened edges right off the Tormek, with no additional honing or other processing.

My Tormek is one of the most-used tools in my shop.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've had mine for maybe 8 years and love it. With the proper expensive jig, it will sharpen anything but sandpaper. I've used mine on turning tools, and it does a much smoother and sharper (IMHO) grind than a dry grinder and Wolverine....but man, it takes forever....especially on the harder tooling like the ones Doug Thompson sells. To be honest, not long ago I bought a Worksharp 3000 and it's a lot easier to use, no watering the stone and easier setup. But (to me) the WS is relegated to straight edge tools like plane irons and chisels....the Tormek is much more versatile. I've wondered about the black wheel they offer, supposedly better for the harder steels....when I replace mine I'll consider it.

Thanks guys.

Fred, from what I've read on their instruction manual, is that it is a system for sharpening, if what you want is to remake a bevel they suggest using a grinder for faster results, and finish it with the Tormek. Dunno...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

For good reason, it would take forever to reshape a bevel on a Tormek.

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    ...I've wondered about the black wheel they offer, supposedly better for the harder steels....when I replace mine I'll consider it.
    I have the black stone, and it's considerably harder than the standard one. Does a really nice job on A-2 and harder steels, and shows a lot less wear and 'grooving' than the standard one. Actually seems to be a bit harder than the grading stone tool, so changing 'grits' seems a bit less effective. BTW, for Toni's carving tools, the Japanese waterstone might be a desirable option, but I'd bet it wears very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    ...from what I've read on their instruction manual, is that it is a system for sharpening, if what you want is to remake a bevel they suggest using a grinder for faster results, and finish it with the Tormek. Dunno...
    That's exactly right, Toni. Also, they now make an adapter that lets you use the Tormek jigs with a grinder, so that you can move from the grinder to the Tormek to refine the edge. At least that's what the advertising says - I don't have that jig, so have never had the chance to try it.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Dad has the jig that allows you to move things like gouges from bench grinder to wet sharpener without changing any of the settings. This has made the wet grinder a much more valuable tool. He still uses the Worksharp for things like bench chisels and plane irons since it is so quick.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I must confess that I have a Tormek and have not used it much the last 7 years or so. I had bought it with the intent of sharpening turning tools and it seemed to work very well for that. I have not turned anything for about 7 years or so. There might be some correlation there. I consider it too slow for reshaping plane blades, but that is probably just my own particular bias.

I would probably use the Tormek again, if I thought it would be a way to sharpen carving tools. This winter I intent to try to make better use of the Tormek. I will have to look into that "black stone" that Jim is referring to.

I am curious, what is your intended use?
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I have a T-3 and it works great in conjunction with my Rikon/Wolverine set-up. I will take all day to change a grind on a gouge, but IMHO...it should never be used for that. Fantastic on my plane blades!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    I am curious, what is your intended use?
    Hi Bill, I'm thinking about using it to sharpen my carving tools, up to now I sharpen them by hand with my india and Arkansas oil stones, making the bevel when needed on a grinder. At the same time I have a few felt wheels mounted on a shaft that I use for stropping them. The idea is to have everything on a single spot and machine, to speed up the process and something that I can take with me when I go on holiday to my in-laws, without having to pack things individually, bring the oil on a leakproof bottle and so forth.
    Or instead of having part of my bench full of different stones scattered on it with the risk of dropping one (it has happend already). Hence my question, as it is not cheap I want to take an informed decision before making my mind up.

I heard that some people have changed the original stone by another that is faster in removing metal.
    Best regards,
    Toni