sign for downstairs neighbor's gf's brother

Dan Noren

Staff member
as i had done with the board, i planed the blank to flat, marked everything off for the sign, and sanded within the marks to remove any planer marks. then it was time to start the pocketing process. i was hoping that this one would turn out as well as the board, but that was not to be. on the first run, had an error for some reason, and had to try to cancel. i recalculated the tool paths, and tried again (if it worked, would run along the same tool path), no go there. it turns out, that the program had changed the drawing size from 9x23 to 11x24, thus changing the x/y/z start point. with that info, i erased everything but the drawing. reset that to proper size, erased all the tool path files and gcode for this, and recalculated, and saved the tool paths anew, and will try again in the morning.

Attachments

• 001 walnut for sign.jpg
    001 walnut for sign.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 38
  • 006 pocketing messed up twice.jpg
    006 pocketing messed up twice.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 005 start of pocketing for the sign.jpg
    005 start of pocketing for the sign.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 36
  • 004 walnut for sign and board presanded.jpg
    004 walnut for sign and board presanded.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 38
  • 003 walnut for sign marked off.jpg
    003 walnut for sign marked off.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 002 walnut for sign planed.jpg
    002 walnut for sign planed.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
Dan, Those are beautiful pieces of wood.

I hope there is not too much conflict of interest between the design in the harley icon and the wood grain.

I do not mean in cutting.

I find often times the intricate design and the intricate grain compete with each other for the attention of the see'r

They cancel each other out and become difficult to see.

Are you trying to display the wood - or - are you trying to display the icon and text?

Personally, I would save that beautiful wood for a project where the grain would be the focal point. I can visualize a beautiful box.

For the plaque - Cherry really is a great wood - but a straighter grain may be better.

I love to use Cherry (straight grained) for wall plaques - I also like black for the engravings on Cherry - it really pops.

after a little bit of planing, time for the second attempt. for some reason, the size of the blank in the program went from 9x23 to 11x24, which reset the starting point, and caused the errors. so, i planed it, and sanded it again, crossed everything, and started the process again, and was off to a much better start. then with all 3 of the passes done, it was on to the engraving. had to make sure that pointy lil devil was just right, and it was. with the engraving done, it is only the final sanding and removing the excess on the ends to be done before i can start the finishing.

Attachments

• 014 all cutting and engraving done.jpg
    014 all cutting and engraving done.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 013 engraving done.jpg
    013 engraving done.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 22
  • 012 start of engraving.jpg
    012 start of engraving.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 011 pocketing done.jpg
    011 pocketing done.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 010 on to the second of three passes.jpg
    010 on to the second of three passes.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 009 pocketing still going strong.jpg
    009 pocketing still going strong.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 008 pocketing off to a good start.jpg
    008 pocketing off to a good start.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 007 presanded again.jpg
    007 presanded again.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 006b messed up board planer erased.jpg
    006b messed up board planer erased.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
Once the word gets out, I suspect you're gonna start getting a lot of orders from friends of your neighbors. :thumb:

well vaughn, as long as i don't run afoul of any copyright laws and such. over the last couple of days got it sanded, and oiled it up today.

Attachments

• 015 sanded and oiled.jpg
    015 sanded and oiled.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 24