bathroom towel cabinet

Dan Noren

Staff member
as part of the over all bathroom/bedroom furniture project, the wife :blah: insisted that the bathroom towel cabinet be built first. i bought all the red oak for it yesterday, and will be marking it off for rough cutting. after that is done, it will be planing to thickness, i'm planning on inch thick sides and top. this cabinet is based on the roycroft colony's magazine/book shelf.

Attachments

• 001 red oak for cabinet.jpg
    001 red oak for cabinet.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 38
ok bill, you asked for it! :eek: over the last couple of days i found and coded a mackintosh rose motif for the sides. having checked with the wife :blah:, she approved of the design, and the finish (blo and spar varnish). there will be 2 of these on each side. today i got all of the parts rough cross cut (thank goodness for the sled), and one edge jointed. then i ran a nice looking bit of the waste through the planer to get a smooth surface, and set it up on the cnc. got that started, and a few minutes later, there it was, one of the two engravings for the sides. gave it quick hit with blo, and spray shellac. tomorrow it will be ripping to proper widths, planing, cutting to final widths, and engraving. herself decided that the flowers will be going in an outward direction on each of the side boards. just wait until you see what i'm doing with the dining chairs bill. see what you started.... :rofl:

Attachments

• 003 all boards rough cut and edge jointed.jpg
    003 all boards rough cut and edge jointed.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 004 start of test engraving.jpg
    004 start of test engraving.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 39
  • 005 test engraving going good.jpg
    005 test engraving going good.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 006 test engraving finished.jpg
    006 test engraving finished.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 007 test engraving with oil and shellac.jpg
    007 test engraving with oil and shellac.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 53
got a bit more done today. ripped all of the boards to width, and for the fun of it, planed them all to thickness. tomorrow i trim off one end of the side parts, and engrave the pattern. the fun part will be the cutting of the dadoes at 5 degrees.

Attachments

• 008 all boards ripped to width and planed.jpg
    008 all boards ripped to width and planed.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 27
got a little more done today. cut all of the side boards to length, and did all of the cnc engraving.

Attachments

• 009 start of engraving.jpg
    009 start of engraving.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 010 finished engraving.jpg
    010 finished engraving.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 33
a little bit more done over the last couple of days, in spite of the heat. got both sides glued up, as well as the top, and one of the shelves. more to come tomorrow.

Attachments

• 014 top and one shelf glued up.jpg
    014 top and one shelf glued up.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 013 both sides out of clamps.jpg
    013 both sides out of clamps.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 19
  • 012 second side glued up.jpg
    012 second side glued up.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 011 one side glued up.jpg
    011 one side glued up.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
got back to it today (last day of my vacation). got the top and bottom edges of the sides cut to the 5 degree angle. cut the top, and all of the shelves to finished sizes, along with the 5 degree angles on the ends of the shelves, and 3 of the sides of the top. then it was on to cutting the dadoes for the shelves, also at 5 degrees. then it was on to the first test assembly. it went pretty good. now all that is left to do, is to route the rabbet for the back, cut the back, then on to the sanding and finishing. it was a good thing that my sister took apart the closet insert the way she did, as the bottom made a perfectly good sled, just long enough too. the wife :blah: is happy with tonight's progress.

Attachments

• 020 test assembly view c.jpg
    020 test assembly view c.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 019 test assembly view b.jpg
    019 test assembly view b.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 018 test assembly view a.jpg
    018 test assembly view a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 18
  • 017 shelf dadoes cut.jpg
    017 shelf dadoes cut.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 016 top and shelves cut to size.jpg
    016 top and shelves cut to size.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 17
thanks bill, that advice you gave worked out pretty good. this item is gonna be heavy no matter how you slice it. good thing i have the element to bring it home in....:thumb:

You're welcome, Dan. Glad I could help. I know how it is to get cross-eyed when working out joinery at times. Wait 'til you try a bentwood project! BTDT

got the rabbets cut for the back yesterday, and did another test fit to measure for the back. now its on to the sanding and finishing.

Attachments

• 021 ready to cut first rabbet.jpg
    021 ready to cut first rabbet.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 022 first rabbet cut.jpg
    022 first rabbet cut.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 023 second rabbet cut.jpg
    023 second rabbet cut.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 024 test set up to measure for back a.jpg
    024 test set up to measure for back a.jpg