Delta Band saw motor

Chuck Ellis

Hey all, I've come to the collective to see what info I can glean from all you smart folks...

I have a Delta 28-276 14" bandsaw, MOTOR-3/4HP-1PH-115V according to the manual... with a grizzly riser installed..
I've watched all the videos and read as much as I could find about tuning the saw and pretty sure it was tuned up okay... but here lately when I run the saw, i get a clatter sound in the motor area... I took the blade off this afternoon and ran just the motor and there was the clatter... thinking I have something loose in the motor housing or a bearing has gone bad....

I was pretty sure I had a motor problem and started looking at parts... Delta parts as well as eReplacement... according to both, this motor is obsolete, discontinued and they don't offer a replacement... I've emailed eReplacement and asked if they had a cross reference, and according to their customer service, none .... also emailed Delta, but no response as yet...

Already thinking may have to bite the bullet and buy another motor... or may be able to take it locally to a shop that can rebuild this one.. any other suggestions from the collective??

My Delta planer motor does that, and it turned out the fan came loose from the shaft. The fan I have is plastic, and the held to the shaft in a rinky dink fashion, just kind of clamped...no key or anything. Anyway, I put in a bushing to make it fit a little tighter and the noise went away. If the motor you have is TEFC, the fan is easily accessible by removing the rear most cover. Of course, that's only one of 3 dozen things it could be.

Check what Fred said. Then if problem exists and you do have a local rebuilder, I would take there. If you need a new motor, there are many options. Flea markets are loaded with them. Harbor Freight has great prices.

Finally heard from Delta... they don't have a cross reference on the motor... suggested I go to local machine shop/electrical repair and gave me the specs to look for... so tomorrow I'll see if I can open the motor housing and see if hopefully, it's a simple problem I can fix... otherwise we have a nice electric motor repair place in Athens, about 40 miles from the house.

My Delta planer motor does that, and it turned out the fan came loose from the shaft. The fan I have is plastic, and the held to the shaft in a rinky dink fashion, just kind of clamped...no key or anything. Anyway, I put in a bushing to make it fit a little tighter and the noise went away. If the motor you have is TEFC, the fan is easily accessible by removing the rear most cover. Of course, that's only one of 3 dozen things it could be.

I got the motor off the saw yesterday... then discovered I don't have the tools to pull the motor apart, so running it over to an electric motor repair shop later this morning... after I got it on the work bench, I could see the fan was definitely loose. After talking to the repair shop, it will be cheaper (always a good word in my vocabulary) to let them fix it than to go buy the tools to do it myself.

I got the motor off the saw yesterday... then discovered I don't have the tools to pull the motor apart, so running it over to an electric motor repair shop later this morning... after I got it on the work bench, I could see the fan was definitely loose. After talking to the repair shop, it will be cheaper (always a good word in my vocabulary) to let them fix it than to go buy the tools to do it myself.

That's wise. I find that when I take things apart, they very seldom get back together. Leave it to the professionals.

That's wise. I find that when I take things apart, they very seldom get back together. Leave it to the professionals.

Wow Im glad Im not the only one that has that problem..As I have gotten older I have become very selective on the projects I jump
off onto.....saving me some money and time for things I like to do!

Out of curiosity, what was the tool you were needing to open up the motor?

I don't really know what tool I needed... the motor shaft has a pulley on it and I don't have anything to pull that off... I could pull the set screw out, but no way to pull the pulley... I could take the bolts out of the housing that would allow the end caps of the motor to come off, but couldn't see where the caps joined the motor housing... didn't seem to have a seam/joint between the end caps and the housing... rather than tear something up, figured the professional could open it. They quoted about $60 to fix the motor... less than a new motor if I had screwed something up.