Thread: 50000 city guests

50000 city guests

Today begins the arrival of 50000 Vietnamese visitors to our wonderful city of 15000. This begins the celebration of the rescue of the "boat people" and also the 40th anniversary of the fall of Saigon. Yes it's a bunch of people but we can handle it. Most camp in tents on the Catholic seminary grounds or surrounding fields. Some folks allow camping in there yards. Some return to the same spot every year. Some folks even rent out there homes and then go on vacation.
    It is really a blast. The people are normally quiet and we'll behaved. Very little crime problems.
    Saturday evening family will go over and eat at the food court. The cusines is different and tasty.
    Church provides a bus service to and from stores and I have my turn to drive Saturday. Love the inaction with the folks. The teens are a blast, very polite and courteous. Spend a bunch of money in town also.
    Vaughn it reminds me of the ballon festival only on steroids. Actually it reminds me of the summer gathering this summer of a bunch of wood workers but more gentile.

Yo'll come down and join the gathering.

Best to all
    David

Wow, that's quite a number jump. How long have they been doing the festival?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

What a great idea. It doesn't seem like that long ago that the war ended, but time flies.... My Vietnamese neighbors found their way here after the war and they are the best ever, despite language barriers. An older (my age) couple, they have raised a wonderful family. All the kids are college educated and prosperous in their own right. They help make this country great.

They celebration has been going on for 38 years. Lots of marriages come from this event. Kinda like a wedding rehearsal.
    I guess that's one way to meet there own kind.

David

Update on guests. After the weekend the official (?) tally was over 80000 visitors. On the westside of town you would never know it. In talking with mayoy the only problems was traffic related. Drunk driving with Heineken drink of choice. Also parking was a mess. Over all I bet the city made a killing. Walmart certainly did.

David