Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exciting visit-------not

Mountain Home, Arkansas

exciting visit-------not

My sone DIL and grands are visiting this weekend. A very rare event for us. All are sitting doing 'stuff' on electronic devices. Conversation nearly non-existant. I guess the good news is we are not arguing. Not that we do. But........this is a 'visit'?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    At lest they come over Frank I would give anything to just set and watch any of my kids.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    I know the feeling. My son, DIL and grandson are here, and the grandson, who does not speak yet, spends a good part of his day with his eyes glued to his mother's iPod, watching "Paw Patrol." He is unresponsive to any communication, and of course if you take it away and turn it off, he screams bloody murder.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

S E Washington State
    I was going to express an opinion, but I will keep my mouth shut...
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 08-10-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    "We the People ......"

Tahlequah, OK
    Electronics are much like fire. A wonderful servant but a terrible master. Our 2 year old got her own tablet for her first birthday but we've only installed educational apps and limit her time to a reasonable amount. I have to change the wireless password and turn off his cell data to get my 14 year old to pay attention. It's a strange world and no matter how hard you try to parent correctly sometimes, the world seeps in and makes it tougher.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Well i'm just sitting here, waiting for my wife and son to get back from a christian concert. Not that that's uncommon, as the boys are always getting her to go some where. This is the 26 year old ( youngest) and they love to spend time together. And yes when he's not working he's on some kind of gaming system.

Reno NV
    Just wondering if maybe there were some activities planned maybe things would go better. Just going to visit relatives never was very interesting for me. But when they had some kind of show and tell or activities to do really changed the whole picture.

Maybe a little time in the shop teaching them how to turn a pen, or going out and doing a little target practice with Grampa might help to pry the devices out of the fingers?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

ABQ NM
    I'm with Brent...give them something interesting to have a conversation about.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Mount Vernon, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I was going to express on opinion, but I will keep my mouth shut...
    I agree with Paul.........

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I have 16 grandkids. When we all (or some) get together at my home the rules are no phone or electronics and take off your hat when you are in the house. All the kids end up playing outside and having a ball. Keeping my 5 daughters off their phone is a bit more challenging though.
    Faith, Hope & Charity