Drill Press "In Close" Hold Downs

I was wishing for an "in close" hold down for the DP the other day. I thought about how I might make something like this. Then I saw one in an old magazine, did a search online and found one that Glenn made!?! Since the unsuspecting comedian is coming down this weekend I'll snooker him into making me one.

The supreme effort exhausted his poor little body so he is passed out in the Barcalounger while I write this.

DP Tight Holddown (1).jpgDP Tight Holddown (2).jpgDP Tight Holddown (3).jpgDP Tight Holddown (4).jpg

Ta-Daa!

Last edited:
Looks like a handy device, although in the particular example you showed, I'd simply use a Quick Grip clamp to hold the piece to the fence. Seems it'd be a much faster setup time.

That said, I wouldn't pass up any opportunity to have Glenn make jigs for me. :D

Looks like a handy device, although in the particular example you showed, I'd simply use a Quick Grip clamp to hold the piece to the fence. Seems it'd be a much faster setup time.

Yes, that was just a quick prop for the pic. This is for those odd-ball shaped items that don't take to clamping well or are out of reach for your usual holddowns but, still need to be held with something other than your pinkies. :)