A Couple of Signs

Bill Arnold

Staff member
We leave Monday morning to take my granddaughter back to San Antonio, TX. I wanted to make a sign for the door to her room, then decided to make a similar sign for her mother to hang wherever she wants. Here they are:

Tiffany01.jpg Dora01.jpg

These were carved in cherry using a 60° V-bit. After carving, I sprayed them with two coats of waterborne sealer. When that was dry, I mixed a few drops of TransTint Brown Mahogany dye in a couple of ounces of the sealer, wiped it over the carvings, then wiped off the excess. After the dye had dried a couple of hours, I sprayed two top coats of waterborne finish.

I think they look great.

I was opposed to staining Cherry - until - a customer one time "insisted" on a general finishes "warm Cherry" on the Cherry piece I make for him. He was so happy he paid me double and I became a believer.

I don't add color to every thing I do - but I do like the result from time to time.

In your case it looks GREAT.

Nice job Bill, I had a look at them via tapatalk on a phone screen and frankly this is where viewing a forum on a phone falls totally short in my view. It just does not do adequate job of showing the pictures and reflecting the full image of the work that one can see loging in from a desktop. Hence my revisiting the thread.

I am really impressed by what you and Dan are putting out on these machines. I honestly never thought they would get to this level of quality of cut and detail. Pretty amazing.