My carved picture frame for the swap

The importance of volume control.
If you look at the center volutes below the flowers on the first pic, you'll notice that they have too much visual importance. They are "eating" or competing with the flowers, drawing our attention to them for two reasons, first because they are centered, second because they are too big and thick.

IMG_5066.jpg

So in order to correct this I had to carve them down and remake them so that the flowers would get the attention needed. Not being able to see these things makes the observer say " Yeah! it's great but...

IMG_5068.jpgIMG_5069.jpgIMG_5072.jpg

And here there are two final pics. Notice that I even made them smaller.

IMG_5082.jpgIMG_5080.jpg

I've learnt several things doing this carving, one is that cherry is good for carving but it has a nasty tendency to split, second that the way to attack the grain is quite different from basswood for instance.
Next week it is going to be on the mail to someone. WHO? wait and see...

Last edited:
You are in a class of your own. Very well done Toni and you have inspired me to try harder and do more in my carving. Like Jim says thank you twice for the excellent detailed explanation. I say twice because i could never understand if you did it in your mother tongue. We forget you are Spanish when we read your posts.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk